Please sign in to post.

Chase debit card

Has anybody used their Chase debit card in Europe? I'll be traveling next month to Paris, Munich, Venice, Florence and Rome. It will be my first time over there! Also, is it better to get euros here or after I get to Paris? Thanks!
Elvia

Posted by
469 posts

I have used mine all over Europe with no problems other than the fees ($5 for each withdrawl + 3%). Be sure to email or call them and let them know you are going to be using it and where and when.

Posted by
19052 posts

"no problems other than the fees ($5 for each withdrawl + 3%)" That's the problem. A $500 dollar withdrawal has a 4% fee, the most in the nation. You're almost as well off just taking cash from Wells Fargo. Find a better bank.

Posted by
643 posts

We won't be using our Chase ATM card in Europe because of the outrageous fees. Will use our USAA ATM card and our BoA ATM card instead. USAA will work at any ATM with just a 1% conversion fee per transaction, and the BoA will work at Barclay's in London with just the 1% fee.

Posted by
2193 posts

I'm with Lee on this one. I've been a Chase customer for years and had to use one of their ATMs in Chicago recently. $5 for a freakin' withdrawal really rubbed me the wrong way!!! Unfortunately, I didn't have any other options at the time to shop around for another ATM. I also had to use their card a few times in Ontario last month, and that 3% international transaction fee also rubbed me the wrong way! I knew about it in advance, of course, but I just hate unnecessarily handing cash over to a behemoth bank for the pleasure of using their card when it's really not necessary. Anyway, Chase is toast and Capital One is in the house (no international transaction fee). As for my debit card, it's a credit union card...ATM fees abroad are minimal...whatever the machine charges...nothing from my credit union. Example: $1.50 in Toronto. Need another reason not to use Chase? How about screwing active military families by foreclosing on their homes while they were deployed. It's illegal. If you're USAA and military or former military, that's another good reason to get rid of Chase.

Posted by
23178 posts

Be careful of preload debit cards. Read the fine prints. These cards are often expensive to use because of hidden fees.

Posted by
9363 posts

Ally Bank (online) refunds all fees charged by ATMs anywhere.