Please sign in to post.

carry on and one "personal" item

Its been a long while since I've flown any distance. Flying Delta Airlines SEA-AMS/ROM-SEA to meet my RS tour in May. No problem with the carry-on bag as I'm using Rick's 21" roll-aboard and not stuffing it too full! But the rules on what a "personal item" constitutes has me a bit perplexed.
Delta says the personal item can be: briefcase or purse or camera bag or diaper bag or computer. I want to use my little Civita daypack to carry my ticket-passport-ID wallet, my mid-size super zoom camera (not a DSLR), water bottle & paperback and a couple granola bars, etc. The day pack would not be stuffed full... Would using my daypack for these items consititute an acceptable "personal item" since it would be no bigger than a standard size briefcase or diaper bag or large purse or camera bag?? JUst curious.... I can certainly stuff all those items in my pockets and then resituate them in the Civita daypack once on board...

Posted by
2359 posts

Don't know about security in Canada but in Us can't take water bottle through security unless it is empty.

Posted by
2091 posts

I use my Civita daypack as my one "personal" item and have never had a problem. It fits easily under the seat in front of me and has all my valuables such as passport, ticket, books, snacks, empty water bottle, tissues, mints, meds, etc

Posted by
1976 posts

Hi Cheryl. Your daypack would count as your personal item. You only have to get creative if you want to carry on 2 items plus a personal item (i.e. suitcase, backpack, and purse/day bag). In that case I would say to stuff your day bag inside the backpack so that when you check in and go through security, you will appear to have 2 bags total. (With the X-ray machines in security they can see that you stuffed one bag inside another but at least in my experience, no security people ever had a problem with it.)

Posted by
10201 posts

I agree with Darcy. My husband has taken his Civita daybag as his personal item with no problems. I think the limitations of your personal item is that it must fit under the seat, not something that has to go into the overhead with a larger bag.

Posted by
833 posts

For one thing: you would not be able to stuff those items in your pocket and put them in the daypack once on board because your pockets will need to be empty when going through security. I have flown domestically pretty frequently and internationally twice in the last year. Your backpack should be fine. I've flown with a carry-on suitcase and a backpack (stuffed my purse inside my backpack) and never had a problem.

Posted by
2788 posts

I, too, do as Darcy does except that I keep my passport, credit cards, tickets, itinerary, etc. in my money belt that I put on before leaving home. I put it into my bag before going thru the "pat down" I get at security and then put it back on in the bathroom before boarding the plane. Sure would hate to have to evacuate a plane in Europe in an emergency leaving my important things in my pack. I have had my RS 21" roller bag stopped at boarding twice because it was "too fat" as I was told. Both times I was able to take out enough stuff to get by and stick that stuff into my day bag or pockets.

Posted by
32198 posts

Cheryl, As you're probably aware, the Delta baggage policies state "You may carry on one bag and one personal item at no charge. Please note that all items must easily fit into the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you." Therefore your roll-aboard and the Civita Pack should be acceptable for the trip (provided they fit the overhead bin and under seat). One important point to note is that if you're planning to take any flights within Europe, they usually allow only ONE carry-on item. This doesn't mean "one plus a personal item", it means ONE ONLY of the approved size and weight. Just curious, which RS Tour are you taking? Happy travels!

Posted by
40 posts

Thanks for all the shared experience. Really helpful. I was aware that I need to pick up the water after clearing security and thank you for the reminder. The tour is RS May 1-21 Best of Europe. Doing that and then some independent travel afterward (rent car in France) then heading on train to Italy.
cheryl

Posted by
32198 posts

Cheryl, Thanks for the additional information. It sounds like you'll be taking the "flagship" RS tour. I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time!

Posted by
1525 posts

So far our experience with the "additional personal item" has been very flexible. As long as it fits under the seat in front of you it's fine. That would include most regular size (non-travel) backpacks if not stuffed too full. I think a good general rule would be a bag about 1/2 the size of the largest allowed carry-on bag. That would likely fit under the seat. Discount airlines are much more likely to give you trouble since they are looking for more ways to generate $$ and are not relying on keeping return customers happy.

Posted by
40 posts

Thanks, Randyand everyone else. From the sounds of things, I've nothing to worry about...

Posted by
307 posts

On a recent trip to Vegas( I know I know, it's not Europe...lol ) I had no problems using my Convertible Carry On as my main carry on, and my Civita daypack as my personal item...no one gave me a second look, and I even made it a point to ask the check in clerk if the Civita was okay as a personal item...no problem at all