Please sign in to post.

how many days in Venice?

How long would you suggest I stay in Venice on a 3 week trip in Italy (itinery: Milan(Duomo only), Pavia, Florence for 7-10 days, Citia de Castello, Ravenna, Padua, Venice, home)? I love art, particularly Byzantine and early/mid-Italian Renaissance, as well as early churches. And I want 1-2 days to explore islands of lagoon. It will be my 4th trip to Italy, but first time to Venice. How much time would you budget? Thanks!

Posted by
3313 posts

I think three full days is a minimum. A day for major sites, a day for wandering and much of a day to go to the Murano, Burano and Torcello.

Posted by
110 posts

I was there for three days and could easily spend a week there. Budget more time than you think you might need as long as you have it.

Posted by
32202 posts

Sherry, Three days would be my recommendation, but you might want to develop a "touring plan" for the Galleries, Museums and other places you want to visit as that will give you some idea of the time frame. Happy travels!

Posted by
1994 posts

Thanks all! This is really helpful. One more related question: I've been told it's not really possible to spend significant time with the art in San Marco because you are run through a fixed path, conveyer-belt-like. Is that true? Any way around it? And does anyone know the Mass times at San Marco?

Posted by
20 posts

Sherry....spend as many days in Venice as you can afford...at least three. I've spent weeks and still return for more! Enjoy!!

Posted by
129 posts

i agree minimum of three...i stayed four and could have easily stayed longer...not a place one can tire of...

Posted by
646 posts

I agree with the other posters. Minimum 3 days, but 5 would be great. I can never get enough of Venice. And take Rick's advice and explore the non-touristy areas. When we go to Venice, we rent apartments away from San Marco and always have a lovely time.