Please sign in to post.

MOVING TO ITALY

Has anyone considered or actually moved to Italy after making it a destination for a vacation?

Posted by
32202 posts

There are a few on the HelpLine that have moved to Italy (ie: roninrome), and while it's an attractive thought at times I suspect it doesn't happen too often.

If you're thinking of moving to Italy, you might have a look at the website www.expatsinitaly.com for some information on what's required. The paperwork is quite complex, especially for those that don't speak Italian.

I've thought about it, but decided that I'd probably be much happier living in Canada and visiting Italy as often as possible.

Cheers!

Posted by
689 posts

We've considered buying a flat in my father in law's village in Abruzzo - but not to live in permanently. We haven't done it because of the expense and red tape.

Posted by
35 posts

We have also thought about moving but the red tape etc has kept us from doing it. Try Ron in Rome. He and his wife moved and when I contacted him he was very helpful. Ron has a website and use to write on here quite often. It is fun to dream, I still do.

Posted by
35 posts

After traveling to Italy for about 4 summers, I decided to take some real time there. I was selling a house, not sure where I would go, so I took a six months leave of absence from work. I went to Italy for six months to decide if I could live there.

Getting there with a visa took a trip to Chicago with many questions and proof that I could live there without seeking a job. I got the visa and flew to Italy; this was 2001-2002. I spent the first three months in Perugia. I knew the train and bus systems and the language, well enough to get around. I explored the central and northern areas from Perugia from October through December. It was invigorating, but lonely.

I spent January through March in Sorrento...small apartment. From there I did the Amalfi Coast, Eastern parts (Bari and on down) and even Sicily. It was quite an adventure. I had several visits from relatives. I learned so much about real life there, made many Italian friends, and found a new self.

I came back thinking I could live there if I could work. That is difficult in their economy. I teach English and ESL, so it is always a possibility. I may do the six month thing again...sometime. I recommend it!

Posted by
927 posts

I've extensively researched this.

You can't officially move to Italy unless you are a Multi-Millionaire or you marry an Italian Woman/Man. I'm already happily married, so that leaves the other option, for which I buy lotto tickets.

"Under A Tuscan Sun," a movie about a single American moving to Italy, was written in 1955, in post World War II Italy, whereby you could buy a Villa and live there year around.

That doesn't happen anymore.

Special exceptions made for education, historical expertize, artistic talent, and the other categories that they list, are not really true. You have to be a Multi-Millionaire. That's the only thing that counts.

As an American, you would be hard pressed to move, permanently, to any EU country.

Heck, you can't even move to Canada anymore on a permanent basis.

They have National Health Care. We don't. So none of these countries want to get inundated with Americans. There is usually a buy-in. This Buy-in is in the tens of thousands of dollars.

We also looked at real estate prices in Italy. Wow!

Posted by
375 posts

Regarding the statement by the previous poster, "As an American, you would be hard pressed to move, permanently, to any EU country" : One way to accomplish this is to work for an American company with overseas offices that would move you over, or to work for the US government. Perhaps this isn't a very likely option for most people, but it is a possibility. There are several Americans who post on this board, myself among them, who are living in Europe. People should understand, though, that it is very different living in Europe than visiting on vacation.

Posted by
1446 posts

I have fantasized many times about moving to Italy but after watching that show "House Hunters International" I quickly realized that it would be an unrealistic dream! The real estate prices seem extremely high (of course this is partly due to our poor exchange rate, but the prices seem high aside from that).

I agree with Francis; the only realistic way I can come up with to afford to move to Italy is to win the lotto & I'm not sure how realistic that really is!!! Oh, and my other strategy for moving there is to get George Clooney to take an interest in me & offer to let me live in his villa on Lake Como rent-free! Again, this may not be such a realistic dream!

Posted by
10221 posts

Bad news Sheron, I read that George has his villa up for sale. It might even be sold by now. I was hoping to lunch with him in September. Oh well...

Posted by
5515 posts

Francis I think you must be thinking of a different book.

"Under the Tuscan Sun" was not written in 1955 and it is not about post-war Italy.

It was published in 1996 and Frances Mayes bought the house in 1989.

Posted by
187 posts

I've considered it, but the thing that gets me is the question of:

Do I really want to live there or do I want to live there like I'm on vacation?

I would love to be on vacation for a living... Rick--I'm willing to "test" hotels for you provided you cover the airfare and the rent!

Posted by
927 posts

Laura, This isn't really the place to talk about what Frances Mayes did or didn't do. There is controversy about that. So I leave it for you to do your own research. I should not have mentioned it.

But even Mayes doesn't live in Cortona year round.

I'll add that DD is correct that you can get alien status if you work for the US Government or a Corp with International Dealings.

Other than those special cases, being a multi-millionaire, or marrying into Italy, Italy doesn't want you staying more than 90 days. The only naturalized citizen of Italy, I've even heard of was Gore Vidal. And that might not even be true.

Posted by
719 posts

Not quite sure what the Frances Mayes conspiracy is, but I won't go there. As for Italian spouse or Multimillionare being your only option, I'll disagree. I have a friend who owns an apartment in Umbria. The are not millionaires, or even close. They're wise with their money, but they don't make tons of it. That's just what I know. Keep dreaming about it though, it's fun.

Posted by
277 posts

The military as well as the U.S. govt would be your best bet. My wife found an option with a medical equipment company that was very attractive, but there are not many openings for electrical contractors..... so, we felt like extended vacations would be the best way to satiate our Italy cravings. Ciao, Jeff

Posted by
1003 posts

I agree with Elizabeth. While I love Italy and wouldn't mind spending an extended period of time there like 3 or 6 months, I can't imagine living there. Part of the reason I love Italy is because when I'm there I'm free - free to do what I want when I want how I want, free of stressing about work or whatever else is on my mind, etc. - once you live there, it's not an escape anymore. You have to deal with all the stuff you want to leave from back home.

What I do want to do, though, is make going more regular. taking a nice 2-week or so trip every year would be amazing.

Posted by
375 posts

Debra has articulated the point I was making when I said in my previous post that living in Europe is different from visiting on vacation. I am in Germany, not Italy, but it's the same issue. Family and friends back in the US seem to think I am on one big extended vacation. They don't seem to realize I must clean my house, mow my grass, and do errands, just as they do; not to mention pay the bills, deal with the plumber, go to the dentist, etc., all in a language that is not my native tongue. Meanwhile we must manage family, banking, and property issues in the US from over here. We get paid in US dollars, but must live on the economy in euros. This can all be difficult at times.

Having said that, I must say that I love living in Europe. There are many advantages. For instance, we can take many day or weekend trips to lovely areas nearby, using our own car. Countries are so close together we can visit a great variety of places. We see many out-of-the-way places that most tourists never see. We can genuinely live like a local and become involved in local issues, celebrations, etc. We know our neighbors. When we take longer vacations in Europe, we don't have to do the transatlantic flight first.

We won't stay here forever, but for now it's really great.

Posted by
791 posts

DD couldn't have put it a better way! I'm going into my 5th month of moving to Italy and things have been tough. I've got (some)help from my company and I'm on a Missione Visa. Even with that I've felt like packin' it in and going home at times. Without some type of help things would be REALLY tough moving to Italy. Gotta say though....90% of the time I love it and know I'll look back after it's all over and wish I was back.

Just as a side note, I have a friend here (American) who bought a house and did get a type of residency, and all the benefits that go with it, but it was months of paperwork and tough to do but it can be done.

Ron

Posted by
375 posts

Stay focused on that 90%, Ron! You will indeed miss it when it's over. We lived in Europe for several years, then back to the US for a few years before moving to Germany again. To my surprise, the move home to the US after living overseas was a very big adjustment. Although I was happy to be "home", I missed Europe terribly. I feel like I have one foot in each continent: when I'm in US, I miss Europe; when I'm in Europe, I miss US.

I think anyone who has the opportunity to live in Europe, at least for a while, should definitely take it.

Posted by
791 posts

I'm trying DD. Just try to go with the flow that other 10% of the time.

Posted by
375 posts

Here is an interesting quote from Rick Steves' blog on this website dated July 13: "Americans are buying fixer-uppers in droves in rural Italy. And they're doing it with the encouragement of a government that appreciates the economic boost these romantic Frances Mayes-wannabes bring to regions that need expat newcomers to keep from withering."

Posted by
16 posts

I had the opportunity to live in Italy 60 miles north of Venice for four wonderful years, thanks to the Air Force. It was definately an experience of a life time. While it was a long time ago, the memories were so imdedded in my mind that I was able to take my wife over there for our 20th anniversary vacation of 18 days. Having lived there for the years I did, helped us out greatly to enjoy what there is to see. We didn't miss a train, a meal, and always were able to find a decent place for the night. I've also had the chance to live in Izmir, Turkey for a year during my AF career, but that's a different chapter.

Posted by
22 posts

Take a look at the book "The Reluctant Tuscan" by Phil Doran. It describes the difficulties of restoring a Tuscan villa with all the red tape, social implications, etc. but is a very enjoyable read!

Posted by
1589 posts

" I've extensively researched this.

You can't officially move to Italy unless you are a Multi-Millionaire or you marry an Italian Woman/Man. "

I don't believe this is true. Seven years ago, $12,000.00 of passive annual income was the base requirement.