Please sign in to post.

How Much Time For Monet Garden

Hello, we will be in Paris this summer and would like to visit Monet Garden. Including from and back to Paris, approximately how much time should we allow for visiting this site? Thanks for any information you can provide.

Posted by
445 posts

Everyone differs but I would say that you need most a day to visit Giverny. It take over an hour travel time each way.

The garden is not that large. In fact, the first time I went I was surprised by how small it is. THere
are 2 parts...do not miss the second garden which is reached by stairs under the road as that is where
the lake is with the water lilies. If you go in August, the water lilies shoud be in bloom. There is also Monet's House to visit which is defintely worthwhile. At busy times, there is often a line to
get in. And the Gift Shop can be jammed and the lines to pay very long!

How long you take to stroll around the gardens is an individual matter. I have been in late April and in August. I personally preferred the garden in April as the wisteria was blooming in the second garden
and it is a sight twining over the picturesque bridges. There are also lots of tulips and early roses and clematis in bloom.

Across from the entrance is a nice little place to eat. You can't miss it as it is the only place right there. If you walk down the road, you come to the building (contemporary) that was the American Museum at Giverny that has lovely gardens. It is now French-run (long story having to do with the funding). It is also worth a visit and we also just enjoyed strolling the streets of this very small village.

If you are coming from Paris by train from the Gare St. Lazare, you get off at Vernon and take a bus to Giverny itself...a short distance away. It is not a long trip but as always you have to allow for connections.

You can also take an excursion from Paris in a mini-van or coach. I believe these are half-day tours(I haven't checked recently). I strongly recommend googling Giverny as there is lots of information available on line.

Besides the lovely garden itself, what I particularly like about Giverny is that you get a taste of a small village in France (albeit heavily touristed!)

Go early!

Posted by
1316 posts

I agree with MaryAnn's comments. I'd allow plenty of time to stroll around the village as there are lots of other beautiful gardens to see from the road. Also the cemetery where Monet is buried is on this road (there is only one road in the village - Rue Claude Monet). I recommend lunch at Hotel Baudy which is just down the road from Monet's house. There is outdoor seating across the road from the building and the setting and food are outstanding. Hope you enjoy your trip!

Posted by
11507 posts

cynthia,, "mid June" is not "early in the season" it is high season. June,, all of June is the busiest month I think, everyone thinks they are beating the heat and crowds of summer, but they are not.. LOL To enjoy the gardens with less crowds( noitice I did not say no crowds) I think one would have to go true early season,, Feb. March and early April.

I also think one should go before it opens and try to be first people in ,, definately before tour buses anyways . I am going in a few weeks , so I will see if going before opening helps.

Posted by
445 posts

We went to Giverny in late April and arrived before opening time to beat the crowds. But in a very short time, it was quite crowded!!! This is one of the most poplular places to visit in France even by the French..lots of strollers and kids.

Despite all the people I do recommend visiting anyway
as I love it. And Pat is absolutely right June is
high season. Even in late April, there were huge lines to get into the D'Orsay Museum in Paris. What you have to face is that everyone is traveling these
days, not just North Americans!

Posted by
11 posts

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We will definitely plan on arriving early in an attempt to beat some of the crowds.

Posted by
206 posts

Go early and go on a week day (probably closed on Monday), instead of the weekend, when it can really get crowded.