Please sign in to post.

Convertible/Back Pack Carry-on for Tall People

My husband is 6'4" and has a really hard time finding back packs that fit him. But we both want to travel with only carry-on luggage and would prefer the backpack style over wheeled luggage.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Posted by
32198 posts

Diana,

You might want to send a note to Rick's group in Edmonds, as they could provide more specific information on that point. I've checked that out in the past, and believe that particular product is not designed to fit those with a longer torso range.

Your husband could still use the Pack, but most of the weight would rest on his shoulders, rather than hips. If you're just carrying the Packs for short distances (Bus to Hotel), that still might work.

I'm about 6' and the Convertible Pack probably wouldn't fit me, but I've still considered it. You might also check Eagle Creek, Osprey or Gregory, as they may have a Pack that will fit.

Good luck and happy travels!

Posted by
49 posts

I am 6' 4” also and have Rick's convertable carry on. I used it for two Europe trips with no problems. It does feel better on the back if everything is in packing sleeves and/or cubes. Otherwise it can get saggy. We never really walked more than a mile with then though so I really wouldn't know how it feels with them on for a longer time.

Posted by
12172 posts

Check out www.onebag.com, it has good discussions on picking bags.

I use an E-bags convertible that works well. It's similar to the RS convertible. I like having the waist belt, chest clip between the shoulder straps and external compressions straps. They seem to keep the load close to my back and in the right place for longer hikes.

Whatever you choose, remember it has to fit the airlines carry-on restrictions for size. Some products are marketed for taller people but wouldn't be allowed as carry-ons.

Posted by
582 posts

I can understand how Dan has not had any problems with the Rick Steves' bag. Rick himself is six foot two, and I would imagine his products are designed on what works well for him!
I have a hard time with back packs because I'm too short! LOL! But I believe you can't go wrong with Rick Steves bags.

Posted by
1158 posts

What you have to do is to look for an adjustable backpack, this refering to the shoulder straps. Most "serious" backpacks have that feature, but I guess your husband has to try a few on to see how much they actually adjust and his back feels.
You might want to go to your local travel gear store and try a few backpacks. IMO the best web sites for backpacks are ebags, REI.com sierratradingpost.com luggageguru.com

Posted by
82 posts

I had the same question about a month ago. I wrote to the RS store's customer service department, explained that I was 6' tall, and asked about the convertable bag fitting. This is their response:

"Since the Convertible Carry-on bag has a limited length due to airline carry-on requirements, the waist belt on the bag probaby will not work very well for anyone 6 ft or taller.
Keeping the bag comfortable and up on your shoulders will probably leave the waist belt above your hips - you won't want to use it there. If we made the bag longer, you wouldn't be able to carry it into the passenger section of the plane with you.
I suggest you do what Rick does. He is 6'3" and uses the Classic Backpack. It doesn't even have a waist belt. Check it out at our online Travel Store at www.ricksteves.com. You'll only carry it short distances (airport to hotel, hotel to train station, etc.)."

Posted by
82 posts

MEI makes a number of very, VERY well made backpacks and travel packs. They can be a little tough to get, for sure. But high quality, hand made luggage can be well worth the wait!