Please sign in to post.

Where can I find luggage 55cm x 40cm x 20cm

I will be using RyanAir in May and their carry-on requirement is 55cmH x 40cmW x 20cmD (21.65 x 15.74 x 7.87 inches). Does anyone know where I might be able to buy a piece of luggage this size. The depth is the main issue because most carry-on pieces are 9 inches deep. I would prefer to have wheels and if possible backpack straps. Are there any European websites that I should look at? The RS bag will be too big. Thanks

Posted by
19092 posts

If you forget the wheels, the bag will be far lighter, easier to carry, and soft enough to fit almost any size limits.

Posted by
769 posts

if the RS bag is too big - check out EBAGs.com - they have similar ones. Also campmore.com seemed to have convertable style too. You may try a duffel style and add a small day pack. Or check out a good backback at your local outdoor store. 40L (3500cu-in?) may still fit - just dont over fill so it can be smooshed in a bit and fit anyplace. I use packing cubes too to keep things organized. 2-3 half-cubes is more than enough usually!

Posted by
11507 posts

I have been looking for same thing, luggage makers have got to get on board on this this. All the Europeon airlines seem to have this size requirement now. I agree it is the depth that is the problem , I have found some 20 inch suitcases, but all so far are deeper then 7 inches, partly since all seem to have outside pockets .
There are kiddie suitcases that seem the right size, but I a not taking the "Little Mermaid" with me to Parios, LOLO

Posted by
23262 posts

Truthfully I don't think the exact size is that critical. The magic number has been about 45 inches total. An inch more or less in a single measurement shouldn't make much difference. But the big issues is the wheels and handles on rolling bags because the measurements do not include the wheels and handles. Also rolling bags have a stiff back and stiffer sides so that the bag is not as compressable as non wheeled bag. We have never had problems with rolling bags in the US but only take non-rolling bags to Europe because we have seen a lot of people forced by European airlines to check rolling bags because the bag's wheels and handle would not fit inside the sizing box. Marcia's bag is actually 10" deep but only 18" long so it stuffs easily into the box. The non wheeled RS bag probably work just fine.

Posted by
14975 posts

Ebags has a bag called the "Weekender Wheelie." It weighs the same as the RS rolling bag but has wheels and hidden backpack straps and a waist strap. It also has cinch straps so if you don't pack too thick, you can cinch it down to the size you need.

I have one and really like it.

Posted by
4555 posts

Many non-American airlines have pretty fixed standards when it comes to dimensions, as you've found out on the Ryanair site...and they have metal frames into which the luggage must fit. The length, with wheels, will be the most critical factor. But for the depth, simply buy the narrowest soft-sided bag you can find, and bring along a couple of straps...if it won't squeeze into the measuring frame, cinch it tighter with the straps and you should be OK. Just make sure you don't over-pack!:)

Posted by
19092 posts

And my RS convertible bag has always managed to fit into Lufthansa's sizing frame. It's very flexible and, when not overstuffed, conforms to almost any shape you want.

Posted by
14975 posts

Ryanair made the dimensions on purpose. If your bag is too big, you'll have to check it. And they charge to check bags. It's another form of revenue.

Posted by
211 posts

I took Rick's bag last week on two ryan air planes and an easy jet plane, and had no issues with it, it fit easily into the overhead luggage compartment. And my bag was quite full

Posted by
19092 posts

Ebags lists the weight of the Weekender Wheelie as 7 lb. That's far to heavy for an unloaded bag. Note: RyanAir limits carryon baggage to 10 kg (22 lb), so with a Weekender Wheelie, 1/3 of what you are carrying is just the bag. With a light convertible bag, like the Campmor Travel Essentails at only 1-3/4 lb, you can take an extra 5 lb of your own stuff.

Posted by
14975 posts

Here we go again on the wheeled/non-wheeled argument.

To all the wheel hating travelers....why can't you respect someone's desire to not carry their bags on their backs? It seems whenever anyone asks about a wheeled bags, all the non-wheelies jump in as if it's an attack on their family.

Let people travel the way they want. My bag has both wheels and backpack straps for the time when wheels are not practical. And if I can't make the size requirements of Ryanair, I'll fly another airline that will allow it. And for the one or two flights I might have a problem, I'm not going to sacrifice my back for an entire trip.

Erin said in her question that she would prefer to have wheels and backpack straps. There are bags that have that. I gave her a choice of one that can be cinched down to just under 8 inches if she packs light.

On a side note, I had the Campmor bag and returned it. I felt it was flimsy, very uncomfortable back pack straps, and had no waist belt.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you everyone for the very helpful advice.
I am glad to know that the RS bag will fit on RyanAir. I have not made a final decision yet, but thanks to your posts, have many things to think about before I find the right piece.

I am going to go and check out the debate on European Women's Shoes right now.

Thanks again!

Posted by
19092 posts

Well, I, for one, had the Campmor bag and DID NOT return it, and I was glad I didn't. It worked very well for me. It's incredibly light weight and very comfortable. If you are trying to keep the weight down, it's the only way to go.

Posted by
7 posts

Erin, for trips to UK/Europe I bought perfectly sized soft-side Tommy Hilfiger bags on ebay for almost nothing. They are very lightweight and hold up well. We still use them as our only bag and have always carried them on. I have also used an Eagle Creek bag, with backpack straps that hide away, from Sierra Trading Post and love it. My sons use skateboard backpacks that meet airline requirements (even RyanAir) for size and weight. We got them at TSA sports. We went this route because the bags with wheels that I have seen weigh too much for BA and other airlines. Hope that helps.

Posted by
2788 posts

I got an e-mail today saying that Rick Steves 21" Roller Bag is on sale for $20 off - check out his online store - I don't work for RS - I live in Hawaii! aloha charlie

Posted by
3 posts

I actually went to the mall today and thought I would check out the luggage section at Macy's. They had a rolling backpack which was expandable and also had cinching cords on the outside pocket. It fit the size requirements perfectly. If anyone is interested, it is made by Pacific Coast Luggage. You can find it on the Macy's website too. It is normally $60 and I got it on sale for $20!!!!

Posted by
32201 posts

Erin,

One problem with wheelie-bags (especially those with Backpack straps) is the fact that the extra hardware adds weight. Be especially careful with RyanAir on weight, as they are VERY strict! I got nicked with an "overweight" charge, even though I was just ever so slightly over the allowable limit.

Also, the "Backpack with wheels" luggage usually isn't designed with a waist belt (no torso length adjustment), so most of the weight is carried on the shoulders, which is NOT a good idea. I believe Rick has removed the straps from his line of wheeled luggage?

Another problem (I believe was mentioned already) is that often that style of bag has somewhat "rigid" back and sides. That makes them less compressible to fit into either sizing frames or luggage bins (some of the smaller regional planes DON'T have a lot of room in the overhead bins).

Rick's Convertible Bags (or others) that don't have a frame are very "moldable".

Good luck!

Posted by
14975 posts

Ebags Weekender Wheelie:

-has wheels

-has backpack straps with a waist belt (not mentioned in the ad but it comes with it.)

-has a semi-rigid bottom (Where the collapsible pull h andle is) with "moldable" sides and top including outside cinch straps to help it fit into sizers.

--weighs only 4 lbs more than Rick's convertible.

--when flying regional aircraft, your bag will be gate-checked. That means you will leave it at the door of the aircraft before entering and it will be returned to you when you step off the plane. No dealing with baggage claim.

--costs less than Rick's Convetible bag and made of more durable material.

--and remember, the anti-wheelies here would rather subject themselves to waterboarding than even think of using or respect anyone who likes wheels.

--and ask yourself, would you be happy carrying a non-wheeled bag on your back for an entire trip just to save a few bucks and not having to check a bag for one short flight. If yes, then go without wheels. If not, get the wheeled bag.

Posted by
1455 posts

I got the HEYS brand luggage. Its 19 inches but I have NEVER had to check in. Its very roomy and light when empty.

Posted by
19092 posts

I guess you could call me a "wheeled bag" hater, because I find I am always tripping over them as I try to get down the airport hallway (their owners inconsiderably drag them out beside them, instead of behind them). And they take more than their fair share of space in the overhead bins, but other than that, as long as you are not on the same plane, or in the same airport, with me, I have no reason to "hate" your bag.

What I do hate are the posters who keep insisting that others should use these overweight POSs.

The HEYS 20" weighs almost 10#. Another one weighs 7 1/2#. What ever happened to packing light? These bags aren't carry-ons; they should have to be checked.

At less than 17#, I pack light. I don't NEED wheels, nor do I want them.

Posted by
808 posts

My "Crew Bag" is just 17inches and by regulation can't be of the expandable variety. It's pretty small but we can't have them any larger just incase we are DHing (Deadheading) from one point to another on an Airline which has a smaller size restriction for carry-on. It takes a little more planning to be a Carry-on only traveller with a 17incher but it can be done.

Some brands that make 17inchers with wheels and telescopic handle are Samsonite, Heys and Titan (found commonly in Europe.) Delsey also makes a 17incher but I think it was mostly marketed to Airlines for Crew requirement. Unfortunately, none of these will have the backpack straps that you were hoping for.

Posted by
1 posts

I'd love to have one of these Lufthansa bags (which meets Lufthansa's stringent carry-on limits), but they're only available in Europe:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6hw8hg

They're made by Titan and get consistently great reviews for build quality and intelligent use of capacity.