Please sign in to post.

Barajas Airport to Atocha Station

Although we would typically use the cheaper Metro, getting from Barajas to Atocha Station sounds difficult, with multiple transfers. We're considering a taxi or the AeroCity shuttle. Does anyone have experience with this particular trip?

Posted by
4555 posts

Take a taxi. Cabs are inexpensive in Madrid, with the ride probably costing no more than about 30 Euro.

Posted by
2 posts

How long is the ride from the airport to the train station? We are flying into Madrid, then immediately going to Barcelona via train. I am wondering how much time I need to alot between my plane arrival time and my train departure time.

Posted by
2207 posts

Having lived in Madrid many years ago I opted to take the metro in from Barajas to Atocha Station as this was not an option for us in the past.

The ticket, purchased just above the metro station in the Airport Terminal was 2 euro. The metro ride into town required one "line" change for Atocha and took about 20-25 minutes as I recall. The metro system in Madrid (after living in Rome) is incredible. Clean, efficient, easy to understand, 10+ lines to choose from - and into town easily. Compared to many other cities in Europe, Madrid was one of our easiest "airport to town" connections... After living there in the 70's this was a pleasant surprise!

Ciao,
Ron

Posted by
3250 posts

We took the metro from the airport into Madrid and it was very easy. It was about an 8 minute walk from our gate to the metro station. At the entrance to the station there is an information desk--the attendant spoke English and was very helpful. He mapped out our route into the city. You can view or download a map of the Madrid metro online and then plan your route. Unless you have lots of luggage I'd recommend taking the metro and saving your taxi money for tapas!

Posted by
4555 posts

Jill....Once you arrive at the Metro station entrance (can be up to a 10 minute walk after clearing customs, depending on the arrival terminal), it'll take about 50 minutes to get to Atocha station by Metro, with two changes, including stairs. That's how I usually get downtown, but you have to be travelling light...no more than a carry-on sized bag and a knapsack. Depending on your arrival time, you'll also have to cope with rush-hour crowds (7 ish to 9 ish). Customs and immigration are usually pretty fast but to be on the safe side, I would allot 2 hours to make a connection. If you're running late, take a cab from the airport....about 30 Euro, but better than missing the train! See the Metro map at http://www.metromadrid.es/acc_resources/pdfs/Plano_Metro_2008.pdf . Barajas is in the upper right corner (pink line 8), while Atocha RENFE (NOT Atocha) is at the lower center right, on blue line 1. The construction that has closed line 1 between Tribunal and Tirso de Molna (including Sol station) is supposed to be finished by mid-September.