Please sign in to post.
Posted by
7737 posts

Since a lot of gelato places make you pay before you tell them what flavor you want, I always check out the prices. I would pay at most 2.50 euros for a small cone, which is what GROM charges. They're a national chain of artisanal gelato. Deeeelicious!

Posted by
11613 posts

Prices vary by location. In a small town or local neighborhood in a larger city, you can get a scoop for one euro. Prices are always posted, so you know what you'll pay beforehand.

Posted by
9110 posts

The Naples Corollary: How can more Rolexes be stolen in a year than Mr. Rolex has built in his life?

Posted by
223 posts

There's a good lesson in this. I'm always assuming 'about a euro', and I only pay attention to my change. I love my grandchildren, but paying for 5 accidental treasures could ruin the afternoon. I'd never think to look up Travel Advisor for a gelato place; still won't, but I'll check the price first.
Thanks!

Posted by
9109 posts

I'd never think to look up Travel Advisor for a gelato place I was kidding. Most people purchase ice cream on impulse.

Posted by
791 posts

I learned to check on prices beforehand after we got a 12 euro cone for my daughter in Rome not far from the Spanish Steps. Smaller towns will usually be pretty reasonable and usually better quality gelato than touristy places.

Posted by
223 posts

D-uh. But does TripAdvisor rate the kleenex salesmen at the toll booths? And the 'parking attendants' in the south? I'm kidding you now. Seriously, it was good to see the whole issue. I meant I wouldn't have thought to check before all of this information - I thought I might risk 50 centesimi, but this thread has inspired a new habit.

Posted by
9109 posts

Exactly Sarah, it's an impulse purchase like much of the stuff you see at Ikea;) In the original article the Brits complain the employees never said thank you. But this photo of one of their receipts clearly states "grazie" on the bottom, so they are at least appreciative;) (very old Jay Leno joke) http://tinyurl.com/cq3tt4o

Posted by
33386 posts

There has been a recent kerfuffle here about a party of 2 middle aged couples from Dudley in the Black Country being charged €64 or similar for 4 small gelati. Don't know if it was the same story but there is a little concern in BBC channels for rip-off Italy at the moment. Some scam artists try to get you as you walk - some from behind the counter. Any reasonable place will have prices posted.

Posted by
32303 posts

Nigel, Those are probably the same couples referred to in the Italian article, as the circumstances sound almost identical.

Posted by
15760 posts

I'm still trying to imagine being in Italy and buying gelato on impulse. For me it's a daily meal. . . or two. And being a cheapskate at heart, I always check the prices first. Except in Rome - I still haven't found gelato I like there, but last trip I found the best canoli ever, put together while you wait (your choice of shell, filling and toppings), in Trastevere.

Posted by
2030 posts

I learned the hard way that you should always check prices in an Italian gelato shop before ordering. I've encountered reasonable prices, and truly outrageous ones.