Please sign in to post.

Zurich Hotel

Zurich airport lodging recommendation.
We are leaving the Berner Oberland area (lauterbrunen) by train to connect to a 10:30 am flight back to the USA at Zurich airport on May 24. It appears to make this connection we will have to stay in or around the Zurich airport on the evening of May 23. Does anyone have a suggestion for our lodging on the evening of the 23rd that would accommodate our travels by train?

Posted by
16260 posts

Most of us stay in downtown Zürich the night before a flight, unless it is REALLY early in the morning. Trains run frequently from the main train station downtown to the airport, taking about 12 or 13 minutes. Staying downtown gives you the opportunity to walk around the Altstadt, along the river, see a few sights, and have lots of choices for dinner. In the morning, you just walk to the station, buy a ticket, and head to the airport. You can even stay in Luzern and easily make a 10:30 train. If you prefer to be closer, there are some hotels near the airpport with shuttles, but we have never used these, preferring th edowntown option. One time when we did have an early flight we stayed at the Radisson Blu, which is actually inside the airpoprt terminal, and very nice (and amazingly quiet). but we still went into Zürich for dinner and our evening stroll. It did make the morning very easy---just go downstairs and you're there. Prices at this hotel have gone up considerably since we stayed in 2010, however.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks for your reply Lola Our international flight is scheduled to leave at 10:30 a.m. So, probably have to be at the airport at 8:30 a.m. for customs, etc.? Would that be a problem if we stayed downtown? Airport hotels look very expensive (one night at Radison Blu 425 chf, Moevenpick 245 chf). Could you recommend a convenient downtown hotel(s) for our getting trains to the airport the morning of the 24th and perhaps a restuarant(s) for dinner the evening of the 23rd. FYI - We will be arriving from Lauterbrunen By train around noon on the 23rd and would like to take advantage of some of the sites you mention that same day. Thanks for any additional advice.
Ray

Posted by
16260 posts

I was afraid of that price increase at the Radisson Blu. We paid 150 CHF for a weekend night, prepaid rate, in July 2010. Apparently they have been "discovered," and prices have gone up. People have reported getting very good deals on Zurich chain hotels through Priceline, but you can't always guarantee that the location is close to the train station. The Marriot is sometimes on that Priceline list, and their website says they are only 0.2 mile from the train station, to the north. It might be worth looking into. We have always stayed south of there, in the Altstadt area, and like the Hotel Adler for Swiss charm. Hotel St. Josef is another with moderate prices; I've seen lots of great reviews but our quad room there was very small. Our routine there is to stroll along the river, down to the lake, and then wander back up through the Altstadt, ending at Mere Catherine on the patio for dinner. Somehow we have never made it in time to see the Chagall windows at Fraumünster cathedral, but if you are there in the afternoon, you should be able to. They are open until 6: http://www.sacred-destinations.com/switzerland/zurich-fraumunster

Posted by
2023 posts

We have stayed three times at the Renaissance Hotel near the airport by bidding on Priceline. When you place your bid you specify location-area near airport is Glattburg, The hotel is four stars and we paid $80-yes, USD not CH. To get to ap, hop on a tram across from the hotel and the ride is five minutes. The hotel is quiet, has king sized bed with nice linens, nice large bathroom, and a pool. Enjoy your dinner in old town Zurich and tram ride to hotel is twenty minutes. I know there are people who are reluctant to use PL but once you get used to it is a real money saver. We have never been disappointed with any hotel that we got and that includes London, Vienna, Madrid, Zurich, and a few others.

Posted by
162 posts

We stayed at the Park Inn near the Airport. Very easy shuttle for the morning. It is also near a train station for an easy trip to downtown. Or stop downtown on your way thru and look around -- train to the airport, shuttle to the hotel, check in and shuttle back in the morn.

Posted by
1436 posts

Ray, we're doing the same thing in June - coming from Lauterbrunnen with a 10:20 flight home from Zurich. I did a fair amount of research on Zurich hotels - RS switzerland book, Trip Advisor and Priceline. We got a room at Hotel Continental for 200.00 USD. I think it should be a 5 min. walk from the train station, and really like the way it looks. It gets very good reviews on Trip Advisor.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks for everyone's input. It's much appreciated. We're coming from Interlaken and the high alps by train that goes directly from Interlaken to the airport with one transfer at Bern on May 23. Our flight back to the USA leaves at 10:30 a.m. on the 24th. We're looking for a hotel with easy (and quick) transportation to the airport and perhaps easy access to the city for an afternoon and evening visit to the city on the 23rd.
It appears that a good hotel, with our requirements runs from 350 chf up and WAY UP! Yep Switzerland is expensive!! Following are some of the current rates I researched for a double room the evening of May 23. Blu – 425 chf; Hotel Continental 279 chf; NH Zurich Airport 240chf; Moevenpick Hotel Zurich Airport 220chf; Park Inn by Radisson $195chf; St. Josef 230 chf; Hotel Adler 243 chf; Best Western Hotel Airport 195 chf; Novoel Zurich Airport Messe 194 chf. From these results I see that a rate somewhere over $200 for a one night stay will probably be required for my desired date. Does anyone have a favorite of those listed or better still does anyone have any concerns of those listed? I'm probably going to use Priceline for the first time to see if I can improve on the hotel I finally choose. I just don't like to commit this early to a stay that may have to be changed for some unforeseeable reason. I'm guessing that a Priceline bid is payable immediately and non-refundable?

Posted by
4 posts

A Continuation - FYI – We're finishing our Rick Steve's Heart of Belgium tour on May 11 and then taking an 8 day cruise to Zurich with the Avalon Cruise Line. The cruise line provides a room recommendation in Zurich for those passengers flying home at the end of the cruise. I'm going to ask the Avalon folks if they have an arrangement with an airport hotel that could be to my advantage and will keep you all advised of anything worth sharing. Once again, thanks to all of you for your inputs.
Ray

Posted by
61 posts

Have you considered staying in Lucerne? That is what we did last August, and there is an early morning train (around 5 am or so) that takes you directly to the Zurich airport. The hotels around Lucerne station are cheaper (though not by much) and Lucerne is prettier than Zurich!

Posted by
396 posts

I stay at the Hilton Zurich by the airport. They have a free shuttle to the airport. I take the train TO the zurich airport the day before I fly out and catch the shuttle to the Hilton and ride it back to the airport the next morning. If you have Hilton points, you can get a twin bed room fro 20,000 points plus 64 swiss francs or wihtout points you can get the room for 185 francs.