Please sign in to post.

Zurich Airport Hotels

We have a 7 am flight on eEw Years Day and need an inexpensive place to stay at or nearby the airport - we would probably have to take a taxi or shuttle so very early in the morning for the flight. Any suggestions on place and what time we would have to be at airport to make our flight?

Posted by
32198 posts

JR, Actually, it should easily be possible to stay in Zürich rather than using an airport hotel, as it's only about 10 minutes by train from downtown to the airport. That's the method I used when I was there in October, and it was very easy! You might have a look at the Walhalla Hotel as it's VERY close to the main station. One of the entrances to the underground shopping area that's attached to the rail station is only about 50-feet from the hotel. The main passenger area is only about an 8 minute walk from the hotel. It would be a good idea to make reservations ASAP. Be sure to allow lots of time to check-in for your flight. The Zürich airport is rather large, so some walking will be required to get to your departure gate (unless you're flying SwissAir, as they're easy to find). Happy travels!

Posted by
2023 posts

We have used Priceline twice and got room at the Renaissance for $80. It is a five minute tram ride to the airport-tram stop is across the st from hotel. The hotel is a nice business type place with king size beds and a pool.

Posted by
3095 posts

They need to be at the airport at 5:00, and trains and trams may not be running that early. Having to take a taxi to the airport could eat up the savings achieved by bidding through Priceline.

Posted by
1159 posts

Thanks for the input. Do the trams, etc run as early as say 4:30 in the morning? Would we have a hard time getting transportation to the airport that early in the morning?

Posted by
3095 posts

We were posting at the same time! You can check the train times at rail.ch (SBB) or I can do it for you.

Posted by
3095 posts

First train to the airport departs at 5:02 and you get there at 5:14. There is a tram at 5:01, but it takes 46 minutes to get to the airport!

Posted by
1159 posts

Thanks! Our flight is going to London. Would 5:15 am be early enough to catch the flight for 7 am?

Posted by
3095 posts

Are you carrying on or checking bags? There are hotels near the airport with shuttles, and hopefully someone can speak up about that. And there is a Radisson Blu inside the airport, but it is mega bucks.

Posted by
1159 posts

We would have carry on. We have decided to travel light and hope we will find laundry facilities along the way.

Posted by
389 posts

If I were you I would splurge for a night at the Radisson Blu in the airport. I spent about $200 for a room there before an early flight. It was worth it for the peace of mind in terms of not dealing with public trasport/taxis so early.

Posted by
16190 posts

It turns out it is not that much of a splurge. A standard double room at the Radisson Blu is 201.60 CHF that night ( prepaid rate because it is New Years Eve). I would HIGHLY recommend you do that and avoid the stress of dealing with early morning transport. We stayed there the night before our flight in 2010 and it was great. Very cool trendy hotel, and no airport noises at all.

Posted by
16190 posts

For comparison, an economy double room at the Walhalla, across from the train station,is 180 CHF. That does include breakfast, but you will leave too early for breakfast anyway. And then you can't get to the airport until 5:14. I'm not confident that is sufficient time to get through security. So it is only an extra 20 CHF for a lot of peace of mind.

Posted by
281 posts

We have used the Park Inn at the Zurich Airport. It offers a free shuttle and is ChF 132 - ChF 165 per night. About 4 kilometers from the terminal building. It is owned by the same company as Radison Blu.

Posted by
64 posts

We've flown out of ZRH twice in the pasy 5 years and stayed at the Welcome Inn in Kloten both times. Great hotel, close to train stop for downtown Zurich access, free 24hr airport shuttle - about 8-9 minutes to departure terminal. Currently $155.00 USD for a double on 12/31/12.

Posted by
1159 posts

Thanks all for the great information!

Posted by
1159 posts

Checked out the rates for the Radison Bleu and it looks like it is going for $388 US (363 chf). That is way out of my league for a nights stay before heading home.

Posted by
16190 posts

The rate I quoted was from the hotel website (Radisson Blu Zurich Airport). Just checked again and today the prepaid, non-refundable rate is 176 CHF. But the rates for the Park Inn Radisson near the airpport posted above look pretty good too. Not quite as convenient in location, as you are not right in the airport, and if you wanted to go in to Zurich for New Years Eve you would have to use the shuttle to the airport to catch the train, but the rate is good.

Posted by
1159 posts

Lola, just didn't find that rate! Will keep trying!

Posted by
251 posts

We stayed at the Park Inn. Very reasonable and a nice hotel with shuttle to the airport. I was glad we stayed out by the airport and didn't have to schlepp bags on the train one more time! Be sure to reserve your spot on the shuttle when you check in.