Please sign in to post.

ZUGSPITZE

A one-way 2nd class ticket to Fussen from Munich is listed at 60 euros. Isn't this a pretty stiff train fare? Just asking.

Posted by
1449 posts

According to wikitravel "The Bayern Ticket is an amazingly cheap way to do day trips from Munich. With it you can travel anywhere in Bavaria on the regional trains all day (only from 9am weekdays). It costs €27 for a group of up to 5 people, and €19 for a single"

Posted by
19092 posts

Mike, Wiki's information is out of date. This year (2009), the Bayern-Tickets is €28, Single €20. That's the price from a ticket automat; the counter price is €2 more. Prices change at the end of this calendar year. But, you are right, the Bayern-Ticket is an exceptional value. It is valid for unlimited rides on regional trains, all day long (after 9 AM weekdays), for up to five people.

Posted by
19092 posts

Good point, Michael, I didn't even notice that. Where did he get that €60 price? Not EVEN RailEurope charges that much.

So, if you were only going one way that day, alone, and wanted to leave Munich early on a workday, €22,20 wouldn't be much more than the €20 you'd pay if you waited until after 9 and used a Bayern-Ticket-Single. On the other hand, if there two of you going round trip in a day, and can wait until after 9, a €28 Bayern-Ticket beats €88,80 for full fare.

A few years ago, before the Bahn reprogammed their website for the geographically challenged, misspelling "Fuessen" (Füssen) as "Fussen" might have gotten you a bus stop named Fussenstr. in a town somewhere else in Germany and the wrong fare.

Posted by
296 posts

I guess it was my mistake but THANKS much for the clarification.