Please sign in to post.

Zermatt ?

I am heading to the Lauterbrunnen valley for a week in May and was thinking about going straight from Zurich to Zermatt for the first night before settling in Murren. Is it a worthwhile trip (to Zermatt), just to see the Matterhorn? I've heard Zermatt can be a bit of a letdown after the Bernese Oberland. Also , how hard would it be to find a hotel in Zermatt in the 2nd week of May? I have contacted 5 hotels from RS's guidebook and they have all responded that they are not open that week.

Posted by
32742 posts

The middle of May is certainly between the seasons. Many places in the mountains shut down completely, including some transportation. You will have to keep looking. Make sure there will be a train to take you there and bring you back, and especially check on any cogs or cable cars.

Posted by
3951 posts

Last summer we waited until we could see the 10 day forecast for Zermatt THEN we booked our hotel because there were a couple of sunny days predicted. We were taking the chance on not going at all if it was really overcast. The hotel and restaurant owners said that they hadn't seen the Matterhorn for 2 months prior to the weekend we were there. So, if you can hold out and book based on the weather forecast I would think you wouldn't be letdown. It is everything we'd hoped for and we had been to the Bernese Oberland several times before. Check to see if some of the bigger (more expensive) hotels are open in May. It would even be worth the splurge if the sun is shinning.

Posted by
2829 posts

2nd week of may might be the peak of snow melting season. It is beautiful in some ways (rivers are full and roaring) but some aerial cables and many trails might be closed.

Posted by
16242 posts

There is skiing at Zermatt year round, so one can always get there by train, and some lifts will be open. But May is definitely low season, and many small family-run hotels close for a break. Others mtheir prices so that is good. You can use the search function at www.zermatt.ch to find places that are open on a given date. But do heed the comments above. May is " melt" time so snow still lingers, rivers are rushing, and the flowers are not out yet. Also, the chance of seeing the Matterhorn on any given day is unpredictable. She is often shrouded in clouds, but maybe not for the whole day. Spending a full day and night there gives you a better chance than a day visit. The Valais region is known for more sunshine than the Berner Oberland, but the Matterhorn is shy and may be clouded over even when the valley is sunny.

Posted by
16242 posts

Zermatt has great webcams---find them on zermatt.ch as well. I just checked, and as I write,mitt is late afternoon there and a gorgeous blue sky day, not a cloud in sight around the Matterhorn. Each camera location has archives going backna year. I checked the scene at Gornergrat last May 15 and it was grey and brown, mud, dirty snow, heavy clouds, with the Matterhorn completely hidden.

Posted by
258 posts

Joe, I've been to both the Bernese Oberland and Zermatt, and as much as I loved Zermatt, I would suggest only going there if you have some extra time. On 1 trip, we only went to the Bernese Oberland, but then some yrs later (also in May, in fact), went back to this region and then went to Zermatt afterward. But this was a pretty long trip; over 3 weeks divided between Switzerland and France, so we had ample time The Plusses; it's car-free (you leave your car at the station before, Tosh, and then take the train into Zermatt). Motorized "taxis" ferry people to/from their hotels, but other than that, the village is pedestrian friendly, and very pretty to stroll around. And the Matterhorn site IS pretty spectacular! We also got some spring skiing in; great memories of that! The cable cars leave from right in the town/village. Great views from up-top (but not necessarily any more grand than what you will see in the Lauterbrunnen Valley) The Minusses; many hotels are still closed for the season in May. And it IS pretty damn expensive! Also, the weather is "iffy" that time of year. We had 1 day of sun, and 1 day of rain (although we skied that day, and it made for snow up on the mtns!) Bottom line; I'm so glad I've been to Zermatt, but if it's your 1st time to Switzerland, my personal vote would be stick to the grandeur of the Bernese Oberland/Lauterbrunnen; as Rick says, be confident that you will have seen "the best" of Switzerland. This region will certainly give you that quintessential Swiss Alpine experience you seek. IF you do decide to add in Zermatt, we stayed here and liked it a lot: http://www.reconline.ch/romantica/
Homey, comfortable, very clean, and a very good value (in a resort when "values" are few and far between!). Enjoy Switzerland, whatever you choose to do!

Posted by
358 posts

Spent 2 nights in Zermatt early june 2011 and the views of the Matterhorn from Zermatt were outstanding. Next morning headed up on the train to the Matterhorn which initially was sunny. However by the time we reached our destination fog started rolling in along with snow. You can never predict the weather in Switzerland and must have luck on your side. Same with the Jungfrau had a great day cold and sunny however the next day fog covered the mountain.

Posted by
40 posts

Thanks for all the info. I have a night unplanned at the start of my trip and have decided to wait until I arrive and check the weather in Zermatt to decide if I am going there before returning to Murren for the next 5 nights.

Posted by
113 posts

I wouldn't miss Zermatt, but I wouldn't stay more than a night. Murren (and Gimmelwald) are an incredible place to stay!

Posted by
113 posts

I wouldn't miss Zermatt, but I wouldn't stay more than a night. Murren (and Gimmelwald) are an incredible place to stay!

Posted by
5 posts

Joe, The a lot depends on the weather. Like others have indicated, you may well come into Zermatt and never see the Matterhorn if you only go for a day. Even if the Cameras suggest it is clear the clouds have a way of hovering over the Mt. The hiking is outstanding in Zermatt..lots of options and it is often drier in Zermatt than in the Bernese Oberland... There should be no problem finding a place to stay. You can always look at some of the Ferienwohnungs (apartments)...they also rent rooms. Don't miss zermatt and if you can spend a couple of days. Marbar