Please sign in to post.

Wurzburg

I am thinking of stopping to see the palace on my way, via train, from Rothenburg to Bacharach. How much time should I allow? Also I am assuming the station has a bag check.
Thanks!

Posted by
2193 posts

It's definitely worth a stop, especially if you dig Baroque palaces. we visited right after opening time in early June...place was nearly empty, so we were able to take as much time as we wished touring. When you consider the palace itself, the chapel, and the gardens on a nice day, I would suggest maybe an hour and a half. BTW, there's a really fantastic fresco there by Tiepolo. To me, it's smaller but still on par with Schönbrunn, Versailles (although Versailles is Versailles...the best anywhere), Munich Residenz, or the Palacio Real in Madrid just to give you an idea. I haven't visited the fortress but agree that you should try to fit it in. Also, check out the old bridge, and don't miss the market and food stands in the old center...beer, wine, bratwurst, and lots of other good things. It's a top market IMHO. Würzburg is a great town...we spent half a day there, one night, and another half a day before leaving. We easily could have spent a couple more hours to cover the fortress...we'll get there next time. And my traveling partner would agree with Rik that Würzburg is a most favorite place in all of Europe...one of those places where one could see himself living.

Posted by
6637 posts

There are lockers at the Würzburg station. It's a 20-min walk each way from there. You might spend an hour or so altogether at the Residenz and chapel next door.

Posted by
19092 posts

According to the Bahnhofsplan I have, there are lockers in the Würzburg Bahnhof. They are in the back right corner of the station building (not the track area) as you come in the front doors, by the book/newspaper stand. The Bahnhofsplan from Bayern-Takt also says they have lockers, but shows them at the station end of the connecting tunnel. The station information on the Bahn website just says they have lockers, but doesn't show a plan. When I was in Würzburg, I saw both the Festung Marienberg, the fortress on the hill across the river from downtown, and the Residenz. I much very much enjoyed the fortress and only left it because I wanted time at the Residenz, but didn't spend much time there at all. IMO, it's too gaudy and extravagant. I believe there are streetcars from the station to the Residenz, but as Russ says, the walk is not bad.

Posted by
791 posts

Absolutely, go see both the Marienburg and the Residenz. Both are amazing and Wurzburg is, in my opinion, one of the most underrated cities in Germany if not all of Europe. If I had to choose which city to live in, in Europe, Wurzburg would be in the top 5 for sure.

Posted by
19092 posts

I took a streetcar from the Hbf to a point near the base of the bluff on which the Marienberg sits. I now see only a bus (#9) from the Juliuspromenade to Marienberg. That same bus runs back and forth from the Residenz to Marienberg.

Posted by
12172 posts

Wurzburg is bigger and has more to offer than most of the towns on the Romantic Road. Both the castle and the residenz/gardens/chapel are major sights. I usually plan 1/2 day per major sight. If you are interested in both, I'd plan on a full day. The Residenz is Baroque (or Rococo?), so if you don't like that style you may be happier just seeing the castle. We liked the tour of the Residenz and enjoyed the gardens behind it. The chapel is small but elaborate.

Posted by
2193 posts

Well, travel opinions are often subjective, and that's probably a good thing. One may think a place average, and another might think it magnificent. But I don't understand why tourists wouldn't be sent to Würzburg. Even if you don't care for the UNESCO list, the Residenz alone has been a World Heritage site for 30 years, so it sort of makes sense that tourists would want to see it. And that oft-mentioned Michelin Green Guide that some cite as the Holy Grail of guidebook sensibility recommends Würzburg...doesn't that seal the deal? And it's a good thing I haven't bought any real estate whenever I've thought, "I could live here"...I would own property somewhere in just about every U.S. state and would have others all over Europe and Canada. Truth is, I could live in Des Moines. I love it here, which is why I'm here and nowhere else. :)

Posted by
24 posts

Yes to all of the above. And on your walk back from the palace to the train station be sure to stop at the open air wine booth at the end of the Alte Mainbrucke for a sample of the excellent local wine.

Posted by
14507 posts

If Valhalla is not worth a side trip from Regensburg, (haven't been there), Kelheim is worth the time as a side trip.