Please sign in to post.

Would you like information about the Luminale 2012?

Every 2 years, the Luminale comes to Frankfurt. This is various art projects made with light, some huge, some little, but always innovative. The light art is spread out around the city, spills over into Darmstadt, Offenback, Mainz, and a think 1 project in Wiesbaden and in Aschaffenburg, for a total of 170 projects. For photographers, this can be a dream, but pretty much anyone will enjoy the innovative art on show. I especially like some of the things they do in the churches and museums. The Senckenburg Museum will have something involving all those dino bones, which sounds intriguing. Anyway, have a look and see if this might be fun for you to visit. There is a trade fair on in conjunction with this, so hotel rooms won't be cheap unfortunately.
http://light-building.messefrankfurt.com/frankfurt/en/besucher/events/luminale.html

Posted by
8942 posts

Just thought I would bring this back up to the top of the page in case anyone is in the neighborhood and wants to experience this unique event.

Posted by
3049 posts

Guess I know what I'm doing on Wednesday! Thanks for the reminder, I missed this last year and was bummed out.

Posted by
8942 posts

They didn't have it last year, it is only every 2 years. Hope you can make it up here, as it is really cool.

Posted by
3049 posts

Maybe they have something similar in another city? It might have even been here in Stuttgart. I just remember reading some brochure in German about illuminated art. But if it's only every two years, all the more reason to go. And now that I have a Bahn25 card taking the train is reasonable. I'm thinking of going for the day arriving around 11am and leaving 12 hours later. I know you've given so much helpful advice on Frankfurt so excuse my laziness in asking directly, but if there was one major Jewish site to see in Frankfurt for a few hours, what would you recommend? I know there are several, including two museums, right?

Posted by
8942 posts

If you go to the Judengasse Museum, the Jewish Holocaust Memorial Wall is next to it. Right down the street is the Staufen Mauer, built in 1180 and which was one of the Jewish Ghetto walls, which the city created in 1462. I like the Judengasse Museum, and it is easy to walk through it in an hour, and then you can go to the Jewish Museum, down on the river, in the Rothschilds old villa. Let me know when you are coming up here. We can have some Gruene Sosse while you are here.

Posted by
8942 posts

Quick report on the Luminale - It is really cool. Do visit the Container Ship docked by the Holbein bridge if you are walking around the city. It opens at 1600, so you visit this earlier than the rest of the sites that have to wait until dark to be visible.

Posted by
3049 posts

Thanks so much for helping us out, Jo! Frankfurt was really cool and the Luminale was definitely interesting! We were able to see the containerschiff, some of the installations at the Palmettengarten and the major installation at the Goethe University. Thanks again!