Please sign in to post.

World War I sites

We will be traveling by train from Southern Italy, up through Switzerland and Eastern France, into the Rhine Valley and on to Brugge and Normandy. Can anyone tell me if there are any WWI memorials, battlefields, or trenches to be seen along our route? We will take a tour Ypres battlefield on a day trip from Brugge, but would like to see other WWI sites as well. I suspect the best bet may be Verdun, but is there anything around Trier? If so, would it be worthwhile to rent a car for a day trip? Maybe up the Mosel from Koblenz into Luxembourg? Thanks for your help.

Posted by
14507 posts

Hi, Re: the WW I sites. There is the US memorial/cemeterie in Suresnes, 5 mi. or so from the Paris. Going east from Paris en route to Verdun, see Chateau-Thierry, where the last German push to Paris was blunted. The Anglo-French military cemeterie is there. It's ca. 55 mins from Paris Est. But if you're motorised, you go further (9-11 km, can't recall exactly) to see the American monument there on a hill. I saw this from the town since I went there by train. Also in the area of the Anglo-French cemeterie is the monument to the US 3rd Inf. Div....all within walking distance. Driving eastward towards Metz, the outskirts of the city, you'll see along the roadside evidence of German WW I cemeteries with their black crosses. Are you going north of Paris into northern France? North of Paris in Compiegne is a museum and the rail car (replica) showing the signing of the Armistice (Waffenstillstand). Notice that the seat for the US representative is missing. It's north of the Somme river where you find evidence of the horrendous fighting, From Amiens on the Somme to Arras British military cemeteries and memorials dot the countryside, a large one at the edge of Arras. Vimy is the large Canadian monument and cemeterie too. The large German one is in the next village...all very poignant. You can get all this info at the Arras city hall where the tourist office is located on the ground floor.

Posted by
80 posts

If you rent a car there are great opportunities. Visit Albert,France and the WWI museum that is a bomb shelter/tunnel beneath the cathedral. The tourist info center in Albert can provide you with a map for a wonderful driving tour of the WWI sites in the area. I recall there are trenches at the Beaumont Hamel Memorial. Also, don't miss the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing. My son and I visited France to see the D-Day invasion sights and only happened to see the Somme battlefields because we had an extra day. After learning more the Battle of the Somme and the First World War I wish we would have had more time in the area.

Posted by
813 posts

You can go to: http://www.abmc.gov/home.php The American Battle Monument Commission website to see a map of WWI informational areas. I was recently at Montsec and St. Mihiel and those are incredibly moving. You definitely need a car to visit these areas. More popular is the the area of Verdun. I have also been to a ceremony at Flanders Field American Cemetery (near Ypres). It was really incredible. They have one every year in late May which you need tickets for if you'd like a seat, but I believe you can stand around the perimeter without prior notification, you'd have to ask the cemetery for certain. If you're going in November most cemeteries have great ceremonies.

Posted by
893 posts

I think between your list and the other responses, you've got a full list of places. I'll just add a few comments. For the Ypres tour, make sure it includes Hill 62 and bring your boots if it has rained at all in recent days. You can climb into restored/preserved trenches and bunkers. A flashlight would be nice if you really want to explore the bunkers. Verdun is definitely worth the trip. The Douamont Ossuary is very moving. I feel this area can be easily done on your own with a map and guidebook if you have a car. It's also nice to be able to go at your own pace. I know it's not WWI, but you can also go to the Museum of the Surrender in Reims and see where Germany surrendere in WWII. For the WWI surrenders, you have to go north of Paris as was mentioned. You will need a car to get there. It's a neat memorial, but unless you are really set on seeing as much related to WWI as possible, I don't think it's worth going out of your way.

Posted by
15 posts

Thank you, everyone for your input. Looks like we'll have to change our plans a little bit and fit in a "road trip".