Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Switzerland

Does anyone have any suggestions for a inexpensive room with private bathroom in Lauterbrunnen and Vevey? Also - is the golden pass part of the euro rail train system or do I buy a golden pass as a separate ticket? We will take the golden pass from Zurich to Geneva. I am hoping to rent a car on the French side of the Geneva airport and spend a few days in the Beaune region before taking a train into Paris. From Paris we need to travel by train again to Amsterdam. Does this intinerary suggest a eurorail rail and drive pass or should I buy individual tickets? This is a party of 4 people.

Posted by
9099 posts

There's no such thing as a "euro rail train system", Eurail is a train pass. The Golden Pass is a scenic train that runs from Luzern to Montreaux. It's a private rail company, but you can purchase tickets(and reservations) at any Swiss Rail station. So if you want to start your journey in Zurich and end it in Geneva via the Golden Pass, you can buy all your tickets at the ticket windows at the Zurich train station. You can check schedules at: http://rail.ch or
http://www.goldenpass.ch

Posted by
73 posts

We stayed at Hotel Silberhorn in Lauterbrunnen--found it clean, inexpensive, and all of the other places we wanted to visit were easily accessible. We usually go for smaller hotels--but found this place quite enjoyable. Enjoy!

Posted by
90 posts

For a wonderful place to stay I would recommend Nelly Beer's private apartment in Stechelberg. Suggest you contact Carmen Feuz thru www.stechelbergtourismus.ch
and ask her to contact Nelly Beer. She has two apartments that will sleep up to four each and price is probably 65 Swiss Francs per night. It has private bath and extremely peaceful and wonderful location above the river. Very close to cable car to Schilthorn.

Posted by
1288 posts

Private rooms and apartments can be a good budget option. We have also stayed at the Oberland Hotel (very nice-great owners- best restaurant in Lauterbrunnen) and the Hotel Staubbach. Saubbach is usually the least expensive and we always enjoy staying there. Our last visit we had 4 people and rented a 2 bedroom apartment for the same price as one room at Hotel Staubbach.