Please sign in to post.

where to stay in provence

Hello! We are going to Provence in September. This will be our first trip, and we'll be there for 10 days (day 10 is flying home). Our first 3 nights are booked for staying in Arles and last 3 nights are booked in Cassis for the beach lovers on the trip. Need a recommendation for the middle 2 nights. We want to visit Saint. Remy, Vaison La Romaine, Les Baux, and Saint Saturnin, Isle sur La Sorgue and Avignon. I know, too much. :) Something will have to be cut. Any recos for stop #2? Thanks so much!

Posted by
175 posts

Nicole,
How about one of the towns in the Luberon for those 2 nights? In the Rick Steves' Provence book he has lots of suggestions. That would be a good book to have being your days are all in Provence. You can go to St Remy, Les Baux etc. during your 3 days in Arles too. A daytrip from Cassis could be to Aix-en-Provence. We love the Luberon towns! We'll be there again the end of March.

Posted by
1986 posts

dont miss Pont Du Gard and the Roman arena in Nimes.
I have always wanted to see the white horses in camargue- still on my wish list

Posted by
7 posts

Thank you. We're trying to decide between Vaison La Romain, St Remy or possibly Saint Saturnin for our #2 night. Any other recos appreciated. I have the Rick Steve's book on Provence and France and have read through many forums, just trying to figure out which town makes the most sense when we're already staying in Arles & Cassis. Thanks!

Posted by
1315 posts

I highly recommend Le Beffroi in Vaison la Romaine. The old part of the town is really beautiful. If you like wine, you can visit the wine towns in that area. You can see a lot if you group your sights properly. There are many fun markets in Provence. Vaison's is Tuesday, Isle sur la Sorgue's is Sunday. My favorite is the Friday market in Lourmarin.

Posted by
1178 posts

Vaison La Romaine is a great choice. My favorite is L' Eveche on the top of the mountian in the Cite Mediveal, over looking the "new town" -- any of the facilities in the Cite Medieval are fine, however...and there are a couple of great restaurants there as well. As mentioned by another, the markets in the various towns are fun as well.

Posted by
1021 posts

If I had to choose one place to stay in Provence it would be the Luberon which imho is the crème de la crème of the area. So I would say go there.