Please sign in to post.

where to stay in Provence

We will be in Provence for 10 - 14 days in late May through early June. I would love to find a charming but well located base from which we could visit small and larger towns and villages. (We will have a car.) Where would be a good place to stay? Any thoughts on renting an apt, house, gite or hotel would be appreciated.
THanks

Posted by
208 posts

My party of four (two couples) is going in mid-May, and following Rick's two week car itinerary pretty exactly. We are staying no more than 3 nights in one spot. So, I can't recommend any place from experience. But, one of the more centrally located spots would be Aix-en-Provence.

Posted by
355 posts

I rented a gite through gites-de-france.com and was very pleased with my experience with them. I rented in L'Isle-sue-la-Sorgue and really loved the town. It was a great location to make day trips to surrounding towns. If you want charming, I would stay away from the larger towns. Aix-en-Provence is a fairly large city. Arles, Nimes and Avignon are also a little larger and (IMO) not quite charming, but definitely worth a visit.

Posted by
4 posts

Linda,
Which gites did you rent? Was breakfast included?

Posted by
2916 posts

I second Gites de France. We've used them for renting gites 25+ years, including Provence. And no, breakfast is never included. You're totally on your own once you get the keys.

Posted by
355 posts

It was a few years ago. I don't see it on the gites-de-france website anymore. But it was a self-cater gite, which is basically a vacation rental. It was a three bedroom home. They met us at the house, gave us the keys, and we were on our own.

Posted by
207 posts

We rented a small cottage a five minute walk from St. Remy.... priced at similar rate to mid-range hotel...perfect base to visit and a home to return to and enjoy each evening...One of our best stays ever...

Posted by
195 posts

We, too, stayed in L'Isle sur la Sorgue for our week in Provence. We chose to stay in VRBO 196196, an absolutely delightful house on a very quiet street in this beautiful village. Pam, the owner, was ever so helpful and welcoming, and so very easy to deal with. We were enchanted with the village, and market day on Sunday was fantastic...booths with everything imaginable for sale!! The house is complete and charming and was perfect for us...2 couples. If we ever get back to Provence, we would stay again in L'Isle sur la Sorgue...it was a perfect location for day trips to other places..we went to Gordes, Aix, Arles, Les Baux (our very favorite), Pont du Gard, Avignon, Roussillon, St Remy..all using the lovely village of L'Isle sur la Sorgue as our base. It is unique with the canals and waterwheels, and so very charming.