Where to stay in Provence?

After a week in Paris in early September, we will travel to Provence to spend another week. We are interested in architecture, quaint villages, easy cycling, people-watching, beautiful scenery, cafes and culture. We would like to see Gordes, Roussillon, St Remy, L'Isle sur la Sorgue, Arles, and perhaps Aix. I am having a very hard time deciding where to stay - we don't want a big city full of tourists, nor do we want a tiny village with limited services. Any favorites? (We will have a car). Thank you.

Posted by H J
LaGrange, Ga, USA
923 posts

In the general area -- Vaison La Romaine...Stay in 'the city medevial" on top of the mountain. Authentic old world. Market in the city below every Tuesday as it has been for 1000+- years. Roman ruins there as well. One of my favorite and off the completely beaten tourist path, but still found by knowledgeable tourists.

Posted by Terry kathryn
Ann Arbor, Mi
2608 posts

While I love every town I have ever been to in Provence, my favorite 'home base' is St. Remy. It is the most beautiful drive into town and I like that it is an easy drive to most of the places you want to visit. I also love the great market, (I think Wed. and Sat) as well as the great restaurants, galleries and beautiful shops. It is such a great town to wander around in the evening after dinner. Of all the towns you listed Aix is probably my least favorite... it was very busy when I was there, parking was tough, and it was bigger than I thought. I tend to prefer the smaller towns and villages. There is an incredible chocolate shoppe in St. Remy and it's like Costco... they give samples :) One of my favorite was the lavender chocolate...yum.

Posted by MaryJean
Seattle, Wa, USA
6 posts

we stayed in Tarascon and Vaison la Romaine, B&B's in both and were more than content. We visited Arles en route. VLR has ruins and is much smaller village than Tarascon.