Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Provence?

Do we stay in Avignon? Or do we pick a smaller town/countryside for the "authentic" Provence experience? We will have a car. If we stay in Avignon and the hotel/B&B has parking, will it be easy to drive it out of that town to the countryside? Or is it better to stay in a more rural area for easier driving/navigating? Thanks.

Posted by
345 posts

If I remember correctly, parking is a premium at the hotels and/or B and Bs in the city. More than likely, you will have to pay for parking at the hotel. Of course, you will also have to pay for parking in a ramp or on the street in either Arles or Avignon. We have stayed just across the A54 in Arles and then driven into the city and then driven to Avignon. We have also stayed in a smaller town and driven into Avigonon. What do you want to do most? Be in a quieter area and go into the city or vice versa? You have to consider your time, bus schedules and convenience if you don't want to drive into the cities. It all comes down to which you prefer. I just posted information to your other question about parking in Arles and Avignon. I also asked if you want to stay east or west of the A7. You may want to consider consolidating your questions so posters don't answer similar questions.

Posted by
2026 posts

Last spring we stayed in Arles, and having visited Avignon, we were glad we did. Arles for us was just the right fit. We stayed at the Hotel d'Amphitheatre and liked it a lot. We visited Arles and trained one day to Avignon and one day to Isle sur la Sorgue..via Avignon I believe. We got a car the last few days in Arles. The hotel had a good deal with the nearby parking garage that was very reasonably priced. The walk from garage to hotel was about 10 minutes.

Posted by
207 posts

We found St. Remy to be an ideal location and a wonderful town for just being with the locals, sipping pastis, walking into the village for dinner, etc..I suspect wherever you stay you will be fine...

Posted by
34 posts

Annie, Last October, we stayed 5 nights at RS recommended L'Ecole Buissonniere B&B near Vaison La Romaine. It was perfect in a countryside setting. Vineyards out the window! Great hosts! We had a car and were able to visit many sites in Provence. Make sure you have GPS. Arles was so-so. Better ruins in Orange. Highlight was Pont du Gard. Have fun.