Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Paris?

What hotel is your favorite in Paris and why? My wife and I are going in September. Thanks in advance.

Posted by
1068 posts

Our favorite hotel is l'Hotel Hameau, at 48 rue de Passy, in the 16th arrondissement. We stay there every time we are in Paris, which is at least once - if not twice - a year, for about the last 8 years. We like it because it is reasonably priced, gives a discount for a stay of more than 3 nights, is located off-street on a cute little courtyard so rooms are VERY quiet, is super clean, has a very nice front desk staff (very), is on a non-American-touristy street in a great neighborhood with a "village Paris" feel, is near shops and boutiques and grocery stores and a couple of Monoprix outlets and several nice cafes, offers a close-up view of family life (kids traipsing to school with their parents in the morning, pensioners going out to the movies, or chatting over a Pernod at le Franklin or le Passy cafes) and is an 11 minute walk from THE EIFFEL TOWER and the #72 bus which whisks you to l'Hotel de Ville via the Place de la Concorde, the TUilleries, the Louvre, and the rue de Rivoli! WE LOVE IT. LOVE.

Posted by
9420 posts

My favorite hotel is Hotel de Lutece on Ile St. Louis, the little island east of Notre Dame, in my favorite neighborhood of Paris. The hotel is classy and wonderful. It's in the heart of the city, surrounded by the river, and like a little village unto itself. The island has everything you'd need, wonderful bakeries, restaurants, produce store with the best fresh squeezed oj we've ever had, fun stores, post office, pharmacies, grocery store and...My favorite cafe is there, with a view of the river and Notre Dame. It's a great starting point for walking along the river and back, which is one of my favorite things to do in Paris. We've rented apts in Paris twice, which is a great way to go and we enjoyed both, but I still prefer staying in a nice hotel even more.

Posted by
3049 posts

It really depends on how much you have to spend. Both the hotels listed above me are $200/night or above. Paris hotels are expensive. If you're willing to spend you can stay at one of those nice places. I've stayed at adequate hotels for about 100 euro/night, but I wouldn't call them "favorite" anything.

Posted by
9420 posts

Sarah, Tod didn't specify price, I answered the question as asked.

Posted by
3049 posts

I wasn't criticizing - I'm sure it's a lovely hotel. I was just pointing out that I can't recommend a favorite hotel because in my experience the cheaper options aren't really so great to be worth calling a favorite and that Tod might want to tell us how much he wants to spend so people can give better advice. I should have been more clear.

Posted by
2788 posts

Have you checked out the places in RS Paris Guide Book yet?
Always a good place for suggestions to start your process and you might want to run any place thru TripAdvisor just to see what those folks have to say.

Posted by
82 posts

Thanks for all the input so far. I would like to spend around $150.00 per night if possible .

Posted by
32 posts

We are going on a RS tour of Paris and the Heatland in May. Since we are arriving 4 nights before the tour starts I decided to rent an apartment. I used www.clickappart.com, but I did check out www.vrbo.com, www.homeaway.com and other sites that I found reviews of on Trip Advisor...got answers very fast for all the places I inquired about. Of course I haven't gone yet..but from all the pictures that the owners or managers post the places look just fine for our needs.
Just another avenue to check out ...

Posted by
9420 posts

Sarah, I agree with you. Giving a price cap is definitely helpful. I wasn't criticizing you either, just saying I was answering Tod's question as he asked it :)

Posted by
23 posts

Hotel Europe Saint Severin is a hotel that is perfectly adequate in a fantastic location! Easy walking to so many places, Notre Dame, Luxumbourg Gardens, Latin Quarter and right next to a metro & RER station. It's nothing special, but was clean, safe and nice. Rooms were under 150 euro per night for us, but we were there in early November. It has good reviews on Trip Advisor, I suggest checking it out there.

Posted by
11507 posts

Hotel Eugenie,, not my favorite, because my favorite is way over 150 dollars a night, but one I have stayed at, and I like, and I would stay in again. Reason, price, and location. Has a/c, mini fridge and is absolutely central to many sights and so close to the RER station and metro, 1/2 block from the river, and Notre Dame is less then 5 mins walk. Many cafes etc, Place is clean, rooms ARE small. Great budget find for central Paris.
Even cheaper, but just as clean and with a/c is the Hotel Saint Pierre , the one on the Rue De Medicine( I say this because there are couple hotels with similar names, you want the one by the Sorbonne). I have stayed here, and would again too. Rooms are tiny, but clean( and recently renovated) but no mini fridge, but location is excellant, just across from the Cluny, but on a quiet side street. The Eugenie is on a noisier mostly pedestrian street, but even though my windown faced the street I found the triple glazing and shutters ( plus i was there in summer so had ac on) I did not find the noise a problem, you could ask for a room facing the courtyard though. Hotel Place Du Louvre, love this place but will only be within your budget if you book well in advance, i got a room rate this summer for 110 euros, don't know if thats still available. I have stayed here three times now, twice in same room(which I liked as it has a nice walk in shower) , located right by Louvre, block from river, quiet side street. I ask for the Klee room( they are all named after artists. I got a duplex room once didn't like it cause it was two levels , bathroom upstairs. I like what they call the "Club rooms".

Posted by
82 posts

Thanks for all of your help! I knew I could count on you!

Posted by
294 posts

Hotel Muguet. Great location and in your price range.

Posted by
7 posts

My friends recommend hotel de la Porte Doree. It is clean, charming, close to the metro, though a little out of the main drag. But 40% less than your budget. One of the owners (the wife) is American. Very good reviews.
Happy trails!

Posted by
20 posts

i went to paris in september of 2010 and the weather was fantastic! i stayed in the marais at hotel jeanne d'arc. it was clean and cheap. don't get a room on the outside/alley, it was a little noisy at night.

Posted by
23 posts

Have you considered renting an apartment? I've done so once before through a company called "vacation in paris" and stayed in a great one bedroom in the 7th. I liked it so much I'm staying at the same place later this month. They have a wide range of price points and having a kitchen really helped with the food budget.