Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Paris?

What area of the city do you recommend? Are there any stand-out small inns/B & Bs that I should be looking at?

Posted by
25 posts

I have stayed a few times at the lovely Hotel de Londres Eiffel in rue Cler area. It is in the 7th District and just a few blocks from the Eiffel Tower and the Seine. The rooms are small (as are most in older buildings, but have been refurbished. Rick lists it in his Paris book. This is my favorite part of Paris because it has a great neighborhood of lovely apartment homes, great shopping, restaurants, small grocery stores, cheese shops, and weekend markets. You get the feel of a French village in the middle of Paris. The metro is down the street and you can get to Notre Dame in 10 minutes.

Posted by
164 posts

My husband and I stayed on the Ile St' Louis on our first visit...it was so fun to be on an island in the middle of the Seine! We woke up, wandered one block, crossed the pedestrian bridge and were at Notre Dame! Very convenient for metro connections or walking as well - but a bit of a splurge price-wise. We're heading back in April and this time we're staying in the Marais district at Hotel Jeanne d'Arc - way less expensive and around the corner from a square where we had a wonderful dinner last time we were there!

Posted by
251 posts

We stayed in the Marais, at the Villa Beaumarchais last June. It is within walking distance of the Place de Bastile, great breakfast buffet(extra cost), friendly staff.
Room was a little worn, bed comfy, bathroom great and very clean.

Posted by
9420 posts

Ile Saint Louis is my favorite neighborhood of all, but anywhere in the 4th, 5th or 6th arrondissement would be my top choice.

Posted by
9420 posts

On Ile Saint Louis I recommend: Hotel des Deux Iles or Hotel de Lutece.

Posted by
6502 posts

A few years ago, we stayed for 12 nights in the Hotel des Grandes Ecoles, on rue Cardinal Lemoine in the Latin Quarter (5th arrondissement). A beautiful courtyard with trees and flowers (in was September), a short walk to many cafes and restaurants in all directions, a few blocks to the metro and the rue Mouffetard market area, a short taxi ride from the RER train that serves the airport. See http://www.hotel-grandes-ecoles.com/. They serve breakfast for an extra charge but we went half a block up the street to the Cafe Descartes (yes, Rene himself). I haven't stayed on the Ile St-Louis, but I'd like to if I could afford it. I also like the Marais but would be concerned about street noise at night. You can ask for a quiet room but can't be sure until you get there. I like the Latin Quarter for (relatively) low prices, convenience, and atmosphere, but Paris is full of great neighborhoods.

Posted by
20 posts

I stayed in the Marais at Hotel Jeanne D'Arc. It was cheap and clean. Just request an inside room. I had one on the street side and it was a bit noisy. Otherwise, the Marais is very conveniet! Right down the street from the hotel is a bank, laundry, grocery stores, several fruit/vegie stores, great patisserie, and the St Paul metro stop is in there, too!

Posted by
973 posts

I've stayed twice near thenorth end the Latin Quarter and like it especially in the summer. Young people are always out and there are restaurants galore, as well as the Lux. Gardens and easy rail access to CDG.

Posted by
15 posts

Londres Eiffel is a good choice and a good location.
Check the Brettonerie (sp) in the Marias. Very nice and also a good location.

Posted by
1068 posts

I vote for l'Hotel Hameau, at 48 rue de Passy. It's very reasonably priced, and the staff is lovely. Cute place - small, and tucked away in an adorable little courtyard. There are few American tourists - it caters mostly to European tourists and business travelers. The Passy neighborhood is delightful. It's a great place to stay since it is a 5 minute walk from Trocadero and the Eiffel Tower, but out of the way enough that you can get into the rythym of everyday Paris life. The hotel is right between two Metro stops, and also easily accessible by bus. The main street is lined with shops, and there's a weekly market up by the McDo, near Aero - a crazy 1970s decorated bistro that I love. Here is the hotel website: http://www.paris-hotel-hameaudepassy.com/ We've been here 5 or 6 times now, which is why I rave about it!

Posted by
345 posts

We stayed near the Sorbonne on two different trips. The hotels were the Claude Bernard and the Hotel St. Jacques. The rooms weren't huge and ear plugs would be a good idea. Both were close to Metro stops. The Museum du Moyen Age is also nearby. It was easy to walk to Nortre Dame. There are a number of good restuarants behind the Pantheon as well as closer to the Seine. There is a self service laundromat very close to both hotels.

Posted by
9420 posts

We've stayed at Hotel St. Jacques twice and each time got a huge room with a balcony. Don't like the staff though, except for one woman, the rest of the desk staff were very, very unfriendly. We go to Paris a lot but never wanted to stay there again b/c of that. My husband and I stayed at Hotel des Grandes Ecoles for a month and liked it ok, but it's a fair distance from my favorite part of Paris, closer to the river.

Posted by
22 posts

My husband and I have stayed several times in the Rue Cler Neighborhood. It is near the metro and walking distance to the Eiffel Tower. The best part is that it is so cute. All the shops open in the morning -- the flower shop, meat shop, cheese shop, etc. Loved this area!!! We stayed at Hotel du Champ de Mars.

Posted by
22 posts

My husband and I have stayed several times in the Rue Cler Neighborhood. It is near the metro and walking distance to the Eiffel Tower. The best part is that it is so cute. All the shops open in the morning -- the flower shop, meat shop, cheese shop, etc. Loved this area!!! We stayed at Hotel du Champ de Mars.

Posted by
15582 posts

With all due respect to the opinions of others, if you are planning to see the main tourist sights, the area around the Eiffel Tower and Rue Cler are not convenient. Much better to choose either the Marais (which is yuppie trendy in 17th century buildings) or the Latin Quarter (many students, so lots of lively evening goings-on). Both are closer to the sights and have better transportation options.

Posted by
273 posts

I have to agree with Chani, the Rue Cler is a fun place but it is isolated from everything else. I love the Marais. When we go we rent an apartment from vacationinparis.com.

Posted by
284 posts

Being near a metro stop within the inner zone is key to seeing sites spreadout over the city. There are a number of good places all around the city (Latin quarter, Montmarte, Rue Cler, Bercy, etc). Probably want to avoid some places near Gare du Nord and Pigalle. Edwin

Posted by
4 posts

My favorite place to stay in Paris is Hotel des Grands Hommes. It's next to the Panteon and near Luxembourg Gardens, Notre Dame and the Isle de la Cite. I like this area because it's quiet and peaceful at night so I can sleep well but still close the action. The hotel is pretty with very comfortable rooms and I've never had a bad experience with any of the staff. http://www.hoteldesgrandshommes.com/index.html

Posted by
15 posts

We will be in Paris for two weeks in May. Myself, my lovely wife and two college daughters. We have a three bedroom apartment in the 11th near the Parmentier metro stop. Very reasonable price. I will let you know how it is.

Posted by
1014 posts

You do not say how long you will be staying. If a week or so, you should really look into renting an apt. Much cheaper, and lots more room, and you can save a bundle on food by fixing your own breakfast and some dinners.

Posted by
1170 posts

We will only be staying for 4 nights. Just a taste of Paris, but will be coming back for more I'm sure. We are currently looking at renting a 1 bedroom apartment. The one that is tops on our list is in the Montmartre district, but just steps away from the Pigalle Metro stop. It's been noted above to avoid this area as well as Gare du Nord. I need more enlightenment on this subject of where NOT to stay and why.

Posted by
643 posts

I think the appeal of the Rue Cler area is that the actual Rue Cler street has no cars. Rick loves streets like this, and searches them out everywhere he travels. It allows one to walk safely and hear only the people noise, not the car noise drowning out the people noise. The other attraction of Rue Cler, is the proximity to the Eiffel Tower, which is probably number one on most people's list when visiting Paris for the first time. I know it is on mine! And a walk after sunset from there back to my hotel sure beats having to take a bus/taxi/Metro! Bus #69 runs from Rue Cler to most of the top sights in Paris, which is another plus. I think for the first time visitor, Rue Cler is a good location.

Posted by
248 posts

Just my opinion: Forget Montmartre - You'll be as far away from most of the major sites as you would near the Eiffel. The butte is overrun with tourists and scam artists. Also, Pigalle is seedy. Stay closer to the river in the 4th, 5th, or 6th - all great, scenic, safe areas with lots to see & do. And, if you're only there for 4 days, why an apartment? There are lots of affordable hotels in these areas which come with breakfast. It'll get you out the door faster so you can enjoy the city. There are some very good hotel suggestions in this thread, but pick up the RS book for many more, esp. in the Marais (4th).

Posted by
16 posts

I agree, Montmartre is lovely, but it is quite isolated. Meaning a long metro ride to the centre of Paris. It's great neighborhood to stay in if you've been to Paris many times and know your way around. For new-comers to Paris, I recommend the 6th and 7th - closer to the pulse. There are many 3 star hotels that are wonderful. However, one of my favorite places to stay in Paris is near the Trocadero, (near the Etoile and L'arc de Triomphe). Prices are lower and you are walking distance to the Seine and all major monuments. *I find the Marais to be quite crowded and enjoy it for wandering around but not for sleeping. All the best
Diane

Posted by
524 posts

If you have never been to Paris before, I do not suggest you stay in an apartment. The hotel front desk staff are so helpful with all sorts of useful information. The best bakery, where to get a good quick meal, directions on how to get to Versailles, etc. A hotel provides a level of comfort to your first visit. Most of the hotels in Paris are small, less than 50 rooms. Depending on the time of year you are staying, the hotels will probably cost more than you expected. Check out the ones mentioned in previous responses. About neighborhoods in Paris: I also agree with others who suggest the 4th (Marais and the 2 islands), 5th (Latin Quarter) or 6th (St Germain) arrondisement or neighborhoods. These numbers (up to 20) designate where to find your destination. Also these neighborhoods are the last number in the Paris zipcode. The 4th, 5th, and 6th neigborhoods are within walking distance of most of the sites in Paris. Wonderful neighborhoods in the center of Paris with many Metro stations. Also they are full of restaurants and shops. Montmartre and Pigalle (not safe) are too far away for a short stay. Good luck!

Posted by
768 posts

Scott:
As noted in an earlier post, my wife and I will also be in Paris later this month for 6 nights. We have previously stayed in the Rue Cler area;it was fine, but we wanted to be in a bit less touristy place this visit. We're trying a hotel south of the city center in the 14th arr. Rates were great, came with a good recommendation from another RS poster, and its super-convenient to Metro and RER to/from CDG airport. We did a Google streetview of the area, and it looks like there are many eateries, groceries nearby. If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll let you know what we found

Posted by
2788 posts

Do you have RS Paris guide book yet? If so, good. If not, you should get it as soon as possible as it contains lots of the type of information you are looking for. I sure like Paris and I always stay in the Rue Cler area that so many folks here put down. I do not find it overrun with tourists carrying RS guide books.

Posted by
1170 posts

Thanks for all the input! I finally nailed down a place. We are renting an apartment in the Latin Quarter and very close to the Paris Mosque, so it's probably a rather eclectic neighborhood. I will probably miss having a front desk to ask about local information, but I'm fairly meticulous about pre-planning and contingencies. Most hotel reviews say that front desk help is fairly surly and not very helpful anyway. Our host may be available for those services anyway.