Please sign in to post.

Where To Stay In Paris

Hello all. My family and I are heading to Paris for a few days in April 2013 and would like to have some idea of where to stay. We're planning on visiting the Louvre and Versailles (among other sights). There will be four (4) of us and We don't need posh, but would like a good Parisian experience.
Thanks all!

Posted by
11507 posts

Dave, it would help if you state your budget per night for the hotels.. there are thousands, and some of us may consider a 200 euro per night room reasonable, while others think it should be 100 euros per night.. The main thing for most first timers is finding a convenient and central location. Of course no one location is going to be convenient to all the sites, Paris is a big city, but most sites first timers have on their lists( and many of us repeaters like to visit again and again) are in the 4th , 5th or 6th arrondissemont or close enough to walk to from those areas. Paris has an easy and cheap metro system, but most of us agree its a very walkable city with much to be seen and enjoyed just wandering the older quarters.. I will start you off with a few places I have stayed, starting with the least expensive. All are central, clean,etc. None are over the top luxury. Hotel Diana- in the 5th( Latin Quarter). On a fairly quiet street but only a block away from bustling old town. Hotel Eugenie- in 5th, on border of 6th( St Germain). So very central, 1/2 block from Seine. Hotel des Grand Hommes- a bit further out, by Luxembourg Gardens and across from the Pantheon. Old style furnishings, charming. Still walkable to most central sites. Hotel Place Du la Lourve- in the 1st , on quiet street across from Church, 1/2 block from Louvre and Seine( and Pont des Arts) Hotel Brighton- in 1st across from Tuilleries, on busy Rue Rivoli, along with a few other lux hotels.. small lobby which doubles as a charming breakfast room. If you can get a Tuilleries View room you will have great views of Tuilleries, Louvre, and in distance Eiffel Tower.. quite nice but a bit pricey for me normally. I have more suggestions so ask if you have specific requirements.

Posted by
11507 posts

Also re Versailles, its about 45 minutes on the RER ( local suburban train system) and cost is 7 euros return. Very easy to do on your own, but grounds and so many outbuildings to see make this a long 1/2 day or full day trip for most of us, so consider if you only have a few days how much you want to go( I personally love it and make it a priority , but I love the history) also note, in France most hotel rooms do not contain two queen beds, so you must be sure to book a quad room, ( kids must be counted no matter what age really) they are strict about hotel room occupancy numbers. Bedding can be unique, so inquire carefully about the bed configuration. Quads are a bit harder to find then twin or double rooms, many small hotels will only have one or two such rooms, so book early if possible.
If "kids" are older teens , you may wish to consider two double/twin rooms, its nice to have two bathrooms , and as I said, rooms are generally small compared to our North American standards so you may be right on top of each other.

Posted by
516 posts

Love the Ils St. Louis. Great area to stay and can walk to most sights.