Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Paris?

My family and I, which total 3, are looking to spend 3 days in Paris, 2 nights; max 4 days, three nights. We are looking for a safe, yet cheaper hotel to stay at. I am not familiar with Paris at all, so I need some suggestions. We are very clean, almost germaphobe people, so we also need a clean hotel. We are on a budget but want comfort and as much quality as possible. We are probably not looking to spend more than 100-150 dollars a night. Are there any options, which are available???!! THANK YOU everyone for all your help!!!

Posted by
248 posts

Had to weigh in with my opinion. If you're only staying a max of 3 nights, don't go through the hassle of an apartment - stay at a hotel. Leave the logistics to them, your time in Paris is too valuable. 2nd, since you're not familiar with Paris, do yourself a favor and get the RS guidebook. It has a terrific selection of recommended budget hotels in the most convenient areas of the city. Don't stint on maximizing your experience in this gorgeous, gorgeous city!

Posted by
565 posts

When do you plan on going? If you are going soon, or in September, your budget is entirely too small and you will be very disappointed in your ion. If you are going later in autumn, I would suggest looking at the outer arrondisements (higher numbers) as they are much less expensive than the central ones. Hotel rooms in Paris are much, much smaller than the ones in the US. It is possible to sleep 3 to one room, especially if one is a child, but 3 adults might require 2 rooms. I would also work on putting aside any "germ fears" on the Metro or the bus. Both are necessities when visiting a sprawling city like Paris. I'm not saying you'll get a disease from them, but they're definitely not germ-free.
Just enjoy. And enjoy the planning.

Posted by
11507 posts

Lindsey,, do you equate clean with new.. if so you may have a problem finding a room in your low budget range in central Paris. I have found every hotel I have stayed in to be fairly clean, but I am not a total germaphone. I would think a germaphobe would have an issue with carpeting that is possilby years old, vacumed,but not washed between clients( even a very exspensive hotel doesn't shampoo carpets that regularily. Curtains are old, may be dusty,, but sheets are clean, towels are clean,floors are washed and rooms are vacumed....but for those who reach on top of high cabinets and feel for dust,,well they could be distressed. Frankly for a triple room your budget is very low. Suggest you look at this hotel, depending on your dates you may be able to get a room ,, the location is excellant, but more importantly they have recently renovated many of their rooms,so that may satisfy you. Ask for a renovated room.. Hotel Saint Peirre( the one or Rue D'Ecole de Medicine) and this other hotel has recently renovated some rooms, Hotel Diana,

Posted by
4037 posts

An alternative might be the Etap hotel chain, part of the giant Accor group www.etaphotel.com There are several located around the edge of central Paris (which is defined by the ring road known as La Périphérique). The only branch actually inside that boundry is near La Villette, in the 19th. Depending on your dates you can find a room for between 50 and 60 €. But let's be clear on what you are getting. This particular branch is large and relatively new but the facilities are basic. A room holds one double bed, with a single bunk bed above it and clothes hooks hanging from the bunk. No closet, no adornments. The toilet and shower are installed in complete units, easy to keep clean. The Saint-Martin canal is nearby and a Metro station is a few blocks away, but you will spend more time riding the subway than in a low-numbered arrondisment. Etaps are no-frills for sure but you do get what you pay for.

Posted by
35 posts

Try finding an apartment. Many will rent to you for less than a week, if you ask. We rented an apartment last June in the 2nd arr. that was within walking distance of Notre Dame Cathedral and steps away from the metro. Try vrbo.com, homeaway.com or google "rental apartments in Paris". Our apt. Was actually managed here in the U.S. so communicating with the manager of the building was easy. Have a wonderful trip.

Posted by
1014 posts

Look at Etap hotels. Some will fit you budget. Depending on the area, I found rooms for $83.00 for 3 people. I guessed the child at 9, but at Etap, I do not think it matters. I have stayed at the Etap on Rue Dr Babinski. Decent hotel, ensuite. 10 minute walk to the bus and 12 to 15 to the Metro. It is right beside the largest flea market in Paris, which is open Sat-Mon. I believe.

Posted by
2916 posts

We just stayed at Hotel du Nord (rue Albert Thomas) this week and liked it. It's not in a heavily touristed area, but there are several Metro stops nearby. We paid 71 euros a night for 2.

Posted by
797 posts

Your budget is rather tight. I would suggest looking at booking.com or venere.com to find a hotel. At both sites you can sort by price and location. Last time we stayed at the Hotel Home Latin in the Latin Quarter, it was clean, pleasant and reasonably priced in an quiet area convenient to the Luxemburg Gardens, Notre Dame, the Pantheon, the Metro etc. A couple other thoughts related to the real cost of hotels. 1) You may save a bit by going to the outer regions of the city but you will pay it back in transportation costs and time lost traveling back into the heart of the city. 2) Most hotels in Paris do not include breakfast. While the optional hotel breakfast may seem expensive at first, we have learned that the hotel breakfast is much heartier than what we got elsewhere and we only needed some early afternoon ice cream or a pastry to tide us over to dinner. All European hotel rooms run to the small side buy our standards and as a result triples are in relatively short supply so the earlier you book, the better your chances.