Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Paris?

I am planning a trip to Paris next year to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary and would like some recommendations as far as where to stay in Paris. I am looking at hotels in either the Eiffel Tower area, Arc de Triomphe area or the Latin Quarter. I was in Paris in April of this year with my daughters French class & we stayed in Montparnasse which was fine for our guided tour group but I don't want to stay there with my DH. We will be in Paris for 6 nights (after 4 nights first in London). What I am looking for is a nice d hotel on a quiet street but close to some attractions, cafes, restaurants, bars & someplace where we can have a drink & listen to live music at night. I know the metro can get us to all the attractions but for the other things I mentioned, I would like to be within walking distance, not more than a few blocks. The hotel price ideally under $200 US & including breakfast would be very nice. Free WiFi is a must have and a view would be especially nice. I would pay a little extra for a view! Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Merci bien!

Posted by
702 posts

The second paragraph should say nice updated hotel not nice d hotel. Sheesh!

Posted by
6429 posts

We loved the Hotel des Grandes Ecoles in the Latin Quarter, I think it meets all your criteria. See http://www.hotel-grandes-ecoles.com/. That said, there are many excellent hotels that would do fine. The RS Paris guidebook lists some of them, other guidebooks list others. Use Google Earth and its "street view" feature to check out specific places for location and surroundings.

Posted by
9404 posts

Of your 3 areas, I would recommend the Latin Quarter (5th arrondissement). I think you'd be happy there based on your criteria. I much prefer it to the ET and Arc areas. Hotel des Grandes Ecoles, as Dick mentioned, is very good and has a lovely garden/terrace. Other good ones: Hotel St. Jacques, Hotel du Pantheon, Hotel des Grands Hommes, Hotel Eugenie, Hotel St. Pierre, Hotel Diana and Hotel du College de France. However, my favorite neighborhood of all to stay in is Ile St. Louis, the little island east of Notre Dame. May be above your budget but I like: Hotel Saint Louis en L'Isle, Hotel de Lutece and Hotel des Deux Iles.

Posted by
3387 posts

I would echo the last post about the Hotel du Pantheon. We have stayed there and it is a really nice little place! Very small, elegant, and friendly. It faces the Pantheon and is in easy walking distance to Luxembourg Gardens and all that the Latin Quarter has to offer. About 10 - 15 minutes to walk to the Seine, Isle St. Louis, Notre Dame, and the rest of the interior arrondisements. Rooms facing the interior courtyard are generally quiet - the day we got there someone in an adjacent apartment was playing their piano beautifully and we relaxed while listening to the beautiful music. That was the most noise we heard while we were there! Very pretty little hotel. I believe they just underwent renovations so it should be even better now!

Posted by
7 posts

Hotel La Perle in the Latin quarter is very nice. My wife and I just returned from France and stayed there based on recommendations from friends. There are tons of reatarants close by. It is a 10 min walk to the Seine river, fifeteen min walk to the Louvre, Musee D'Orsay and Notre Dame. Rick Steve's also has it listed in his Paris guide book now.
They have absolutely the best beds we ever slept on!

Posted by
132 posts

I agree with Bill, Hotel La Perle is a great place to say. Close to all the action and excitement in Paris. It would be my recommendation to you.,

Posted by
702 posts

Looks like Hotel la Perle will be our choice. Thank you all so much for the suggestions!

Posted by
9404 posts

Glad you found something you like, but I'm confused.. lowest price I saw for La Perle was $270 for non-cancelable room without breakfast and prices went up from there.. thought you said under $200...

Posted by
702 posts

Going directly to their website gives a much better rate. To get the best rates, I am planning on going to Paris in August 2014.

Posted by
9404 posts

I see now that far out does get a lower price.

Posted by
3 posts

LOVED the Hotel Jean D'Arc in the Marais. Great location - cute hotel - reasonably priced.