Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Paris??

I am looking online at hotels and there are too many to pick from! I want to stay somewhere that is "downtown" but I don't really know where that is. I just want to be close to some good locations and some good nightlife. Any suggestions?

Posted by
9110 posts

Nightlife for tourists is either Pigalle or the Latin Quarter. The latter is more convenient for sight seeing during the day.

Posted by
1175 posts

Go to www.heart-of-paris-hotels.com. Click on the icon nearest the place you like--Notre Dame is the heart of Paris but you can find great hotels near the ET, Arc, Champs, etc. Do your homework and contact the hotels directly. Go to www.tripadvisor.com, enter Paris forums, and ask direct questions about hotels. We have always stayed in the 5th or 6th arrondissments and like the 7th, near the ET, as well. Staying in the St. Germain area puts you right in the middle of things. Hotel des Balcones is one of our favorites.

Posted by
9420 posts

The most fun and central areas of Paris are, imo, the 4th, 5th and 6th arrondissements.

Posted by
113 posts

We chose Hotel Relais Bosquet and added the option of a room with a view of the top half of the Eiffel Tower. It's my birthday that week, so I figured I was worth the few extra euros. They have been very easy to work with.

Posted by
32752 posts

You know, that's why guidebooks are such good value for money. If OP had the RS Paris 2011 (it sounds like she hasn't) the hundreds of choices are boiled down to 20 or 30 in various price ranges in various parts of the city. Then by reading those and the things written about what to do she could sel-ect an area and just pick between 5 or 10. Much easier. oh well...

Posted by
524 posts

Lizi Have a wonderful time in Paris! I agree with Susan on staying in the 4, 5, 6 for centrally located hotels great for sightseeing, restaurants, and nightlife. I also agree with Nigel that IMHO, RS Europe through The Back Door and Paris (large book) Guide are really important. These are the BEST practical series ever and will save you so much money and time. What is $40 against all of the money you are spending on flights, transportation and hotels? Make sure you get the Paris/France 2011 versions. Worth it for the yearly updated info. Bobbie

Posted by
10222 posts

I also agree with Susan. The 4th, 5th and 6th are the most central with the most going on at night.

Posted by
63 posts

We stayed at one of Rick's recommended hotels in April, the Hotel Sevigne. It's in the Marais district where Rue St. Antoine becomes Rue Rivoli. The metro and bus are right there. Notre Dame is within walking distance and the Louvre is two metro stops away. It has a claustrophobic elevator. Although the price is nice, the only downside is that there is no AC at night, so if you're travelling in really hot weather, maybe something else would be better.

Posted by
15582 posts

I stayed at Le Sevigne last September. The AC went off automatically (apparently) around midnight. But I turned it back on and had AC for the rest of the night that was nice and cold.

Posted by
1010 posts

We have stayed at the Hotel Le Littre twice in the past two years. This last time we asked the hotel directly for a special room I had read about. We had a balcony with a view of the Eiffel Tower. It was so much fun to sit outside at night and watch the lights on the tower. The hotel is located in the 6th Arron. It is a very good location. We were close to the Metro and to the Hop-on-Hop-Off bus stop. You have to book the room directly with the hotel, You can't book that room on-line. The lobby is kind of dull, but the rooms are very nice and air conditioned. We only ate breakfast there once, as we didn't like the price and selection.