Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Paris...

Any suggestions for a hotel in Paris? We're going mid-December and just want a decent place for one night, maybe close to either the Eiffel Tower, the Champs-Elysee, or the old section. I know, that's pretty much the whole city. :) We don't mind walking a decent distance, and those are our goals for the day. Thanks!

Posted by
11507 posts

Hello,, could you nail down a budget, it is too hard to suggest anything without that paramater, there are thousands of hotels in Paris! LOL
Try to think in euros.
Also, try the tripadvisor boards,, they have an excellant hotel reveiw section, all reader reveiws, and then you can short list and post to see if anyone here has personal experience at those hotels.

PS By the "old section" do you mean the Latin Quarter?

Posted by
324 posts

It sounds as if you are looking to stay in a fairly posh neighborhood, and I'm afraid I can't be of much help there. However, if you are looking for something a bit more "bohemian" you might try the Hotel de la Comète, 196 blvd. de la Villette in the 19eme. (Tlf. +33 01 42 08 55 88) Metro Jean-Jaurés). This is a close walk to Montmarte and is a part of town that many tourists don't see. The rooms are immaculate and the showers are the best I have ever seen in a hotel of any category. It does, however, boast the ugliest carpet in the universe, and some of the worst views. It cost €35/night for a double with bath the last time I was there (a few years ago).

Posted by
7 posts

Well, I've been to Paris before, but my husband hasn't, and we only have one day, so I wanted to hit some of the biggest spots. Price, we'd rather go less than more. Hostels are fine, but we don't want to share a room with others. Something off the beaten path is great, but if I remember correctly, it's quite the hike from MontMartre into the city. Also, by old section, I mean the area around the Isle (near Notre Dame and Sainte Chapelle). Thanks!

Posted by
360 posts

Consider Hotel de Turenne about 80 euros for a double. The location is great - less than a block to the metro, a couple blocks to tour Eiffel, a block from Les Invalides, & a few blocks to the Seine. The hotel's not plush, but also not bad. I've stayed there 5-6 times. There's lots of nice cafes around & it's close to rue Cler. The hotel is listed in RS's book.

Posted by
2 posts

I used the Rick Steve's book for France (we're leaving in less than a month) and found it very helpful. He lists the hotels by section of the city.
I actually have all our hotels booked for the whole trip by using the reviews.

Posted by
3580 posts

Rough Guides and Let's Go books list the lower priced hotels and lots of hostels. Paris has a few hostels that Rick recommends. A lot of hostels have private double rooms. Before you sign up for a cheap hotel check for ratings at www.tripadviser.com; you can get a good idea of what the hotel is like. The Montmartre area probably has the most low-cost housing and it's mostly just a metro ride of a few minutes to the city center.

Posted by
39 posts

Rebecca - In August I stayed at the Hotel Muguet, which was recommended in "the Ricky". It's about a 15 minute walk to the Eiffel Tower and 2 minutes to the metro. I paid 130 euro. There are several good reviews for this place on Trip Advisor, too.

Posted by
2023 posts

Champ du Mars is a nice hotel with recently renovated rooms, good beds, and very reasonable--under 100euros per night. It is walking distance to the Eiffel Tower. Relais Bousquet was mentioned by a previous poster. It costs more than Champ and IMO not worth the extra money. Also, we stayed there several years ago and some items were taken from our things which we unfortunately did not miss until we returned home.

Posted by
9 posts

i personally love the hotel cluny sorbonne. it is in the latin quarter and very near the RER stop/Luxembourg gardens . really reasonable, cute, small hotel in the latin quarter. my whole family has used it, and we all LOVE it.
good luck,

connie

Posted by
29 posts

Rebecca - just got back from Paris and stayed at the Hotel Marignan. It was about an 5-8 minute walk to the Notre Dame near the Saint Michel/St Germain metro stop. We loved it - though be warned, it has 5 floors and no elevator. However, we found the people very nice and the breakfast more filling than we expected.

Posted by
53 posts

Rebecca,

Ditto on the relaisbosquet hotel in the Rue Cler market -- a 10 min walk from Eiffel 5 min bus ride to Arc

Good trip,

Craig

Posted by
11507 posts

Althoug Ricky seem sto love the Eiffel Tower area, many of Paris lovers do not consider it the best area, it certainly is not as central as staying near Notre Dame or the Seine, Latin Quarter area. And I do like Ricks books, but, he DOES ignore entire sections of the city.
There have been serveral recommendations for accomadation in the 5th and 6th arrondissmont. Very central. I tkink Connies post listed on in a ideal area.
I stayed at Hotel Des Mines, 15 minute walk to busy Latin Quarter area, near the Pantheon and Sorbonne, and fairly cheap, definately clean and well run.
Do check out tripadvisor.com reader reveiws.

Posted by
5 posts

I have stayed at Hotel du Champs du Mars twice and the couple who own it are great. The rooms are small but the location great. When you get off the metro at Ecole militaire, look for the Post Office and you've located Rue Cler. You can explore the shops in the Rue Cler, walk to the Eiffel Tower, pick up items for a picnic and eat your lunch at the nearby Rodin Museum.

Posted by
448 posts

Hotel de Suez is just up the street from Notre Dame, not far from Cluny Museum, and right in the St. Germain area........Direct Metro lines easy from there........Good website, but i forgot to note it....Just Google Hotel de Suez, Paris

Posted by
39 posts

We just returned from Paris last week and stayed at the Hotel Louis II in St Germain. It was a wonderful hotel and location was great for dining and shopping and close to Metro stops. It is in a very safe neighborhood also.

Posted by
9 posts

We were in Paris 2 weeks ago, and spent 2 night at Rick's recommended Royal Phare in the Rue Clare area (near Eiffel). Metro stop was literally outside the front door. Small rooms, but clean, free internet in the lobby, and about $110 US per night for a double. Pas mal, in my opinion. :)

Posted by
139 posts

You may have already solved your lodging problem, but if not you may want to try the castex hotel. We stay several nights last summer and enjoyed it. Small not fancy but clean. Close to Bastile and ND. don't remember exact cost but under 200 Euro a night.

Posted by
27 posts

Three times we have stayed at the Prince Hotel for about $110 without breakfast. They serve breakfast but for a price. The hotel is just a few steps from the Ecole Militaire metro stop. There is a bank on the corner convenient for ATM use. The Eiffel Tower is nearby. Rue Cler is nearby. You can walk to the Seine to catch a tour boat. The rooms have bathrooms. There is an elevator. We consider it our Paris home.

Posted by
4 posts

I was just able to Priceline a hotel just south of the Luxembourg for $120 a night. It is a 4 star Marriott. It isn't as nice and quaint as a place off the beaten path, but more affordable than anything else I could find.

Posted by
6 posts

hotel Leveque on Rue Cler! Its great. Clean, comfortable, great location and affordale. About 95 Euro a night for a double. We've stayed there twice and are staying there again in February. Check out www.hotel-leveque.com

Posted by
157 posts

I stayed in the Hotel La Bourdonnais 111 Avenue La Bourdonnais It is a short walk to the Eiffel Tower and it is readily accessible to the subway. The hotel was clean and comfortable. It was not fancy but still nice. It has a trip advisor rating of 4 which is quite fair. The price is reasonable too.