Please sign in to post.

where to stay in Normandy

Can anyone help me find a centrally located place to stay to see the sites of WWII beaches and museums. We are traveling with backpacks and train travel only. We are up to renting bikes.

Posted by
32198 posts

Karen, Bayeux is (IMO) the most "centrally located place to stay", but it's still some distance from the beaches. Given the fact that the D-Day front covers a distance of 50-miles or so, and extends for some distance inland, travelling by rental bicycle is definitely not the best way to see the sites. As you're travelling by train, I'd suggest staying in Bayeux and taking one of the excellent local tours offered in that area, as they provide all the transportation along with an outstanding tour. I can provide recommendations if needed. Bayeux is a wonderful and very walkable small town, and there's also an excellent WW-II Museum there. You may want to also see the famous Bayeux Tapestry, which depicts a much earlier battle. I also travel by train with a Backpack, and that's the method I use for touring in that area. Happy travels!