Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Madrid?

My husband and i are planning a trip for a week to Madrid in April, and are looking to rent an apartment. I don't know the city, and am looking for advice onwhere to stay. We want convenience, but I am worried about staying too central, because of the noise (my husband is a very light sleeper and has had vacations ruined by noise). I would rather stay in a quieter area close to a metro stop so we can access sights easily. I've read good things about Salamanca? Any thoughts? Any good experiences with rental agencies? Thanks!

Posted by
80 posts

Thanks, Jack! European cities, in general, can be considered noisy for A) light sleepers and B) people not used to city-living. Sleeping in the city has its advantages, that's for sure, but yes, also a few disadvantages. If seeking a quieter area, your considering of staying in the "Barrio de Salamanca" is a good one. It's nice, somewhat chic, lots of money along some of those streets, and far fewer tourists and nightclubs. That's not to say you won't still hear "the noises of the city" like police sirens, passing mopeds, 5am emptying of the trash bins, or the upstairs neighbor walking around in boot-heels. Maybe earplugs are the solution if he's a super-light sleeper - or 3 or 4 glasses of Rioja red wine late at night. ;-)
Enjoy your visit! Saludos, MadridMan - AND BarcelonaMan - @ you-know-where!

Posted by
11 posts

Hotel Liabeny; This a a good hotel and the location is very good. It is right in the centre of Madrid, although you have no noise in the rooms.The staff is like a tourism office- they can help you quite good .