Please sign in to post.

Where to Stay in Brussels?

We have done quite a bit of research on the different websites for apt rentals in Brussels including vrbo.com, HomeAway.com, WaytoStay.com. There seems to be a good amount of availability around the city. Our main question at this point is... What are the better areas to base our stay? We've read several reviews of what appear to be nice apts around the Grand Place, for example. However, sprinkled in those reviews are often reports of loud party noise until almost daybreak. We would rather not deal with that, if possible. We don't mind everybody having their fun, too, but not at the expense of us getting a decent night's sleep. As always, any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Posted by
4684 posts

There may well be a problem with party noise too close to the Grand Place, unless you get an apartment with an interior bedroom. Personally I'd look for somewhere a little way south of the outer ring road in the north of Ixelles or Saint Gilles. The only areas that I would really avoid for safety reasons are anywhere too close to Gare du Nord or Gare de Midi, which are both a bit dodgy, and the Molenbeek area to the immediate west of the city centre is best avoided. If you pick anywhere that's a longer distance from the centre, make sure there's a metro station or a tram route nearby.

Posted by
3250 posts

We stayed at Les Ecrins (Rue du Rouleau 15) and that area had a "neighborhood feel." It was close enough to walk to the Grand Place, there were lots of restaurants very nearby, and it was near the subway. If I were looking for an apartment in Brussels, I'd consider this area. Here's how they describe the location on their website: "The Residence Les Ecrins is situated in a quiet street in the heart of Brussels at Place St. Catherine - the old Fish Market of Brussels, 6 minutes walking distance from the famous Grand Place, 15 minutes from E.C.Headquarters. It is nearby the St Catherine subway station and 20 minutes away from the national airport Zaventem." They also have apartments and we were upgraded to one - it was very cozy!

Posted by
186 posts

Dear Sharon & Philip,
You 2 are golden. We are in the process of booking Les Ecrins and have noted all suggestions. Thanks so much! Greg

Posted by
2712 posts

I loved Les Ecrins. The owners are friendly and helpful, and the location is ideal - definitely quiet.

Posted by
186 posts

You all have been so helpful. Really appreciate it. So, I'm going to give back, too. Les Ecrins is running a promotion from July 23 to Sept 4 for 30% off. I've already received confirmation of accomodations and acknowledgement of the discount. If you look at the google map of the location on their website and pictures of the units, as well as the price, it was a nobrainer for us. We'd looked at probably around a hundred before. Best to All!

Posted by
3250 posts

That's great Greg! Wishing we could return to Brussels! We had a fun meal at a restaurant called "Fin de Siecle." Rue des Chartreux 9

Posted by
186 posts

Hi Sharon,
Thanks for the tip on the restaurant. I looked it up and it seems to be right up our alley. Good hearty Belgian food at a good price. It's not much of a walk from the hotel. Thanks again! Greg