Please sign in to post.

Where to Stay in Barcelona

We are looking at renting an apartment in Barcelona for our stay (5 nights) and I am looking at a lot of sites with some good stuff. However, I noted in Rick's book that he warns against staying in some areas of the Raval, between Ramblas & Monjuic. However, many of the apartments I have seen are in that area and are in a good price range (and look nice from the pictures, including the street view) and have received great recommendations from American travelers. How can I choose a safe area? Thanks.

Posted by
691 posts

Rosanne, a few years ago, we rented an apartment in Barcelona, in El Raval. We found the apartment through, www.friendlyrentals.com we received very good service from them and would use them again. Now about El Raval, i would say it is safe, but it can get very loud at night, as locals stay up late in the streets. I did feel uneasy in the beginning, but i got better after a day. El Raval, is close to 2 subways stations, La Ramblas, la Boqueria, and lots of restaurants, so it is a great central place to stay. Would i stay in that area again, maybe not because i am a light sleeper, i think i would prefer, the barri gothic, or eixample. hope this helps!

Posted by
5 posts

Hi Rosanne,

We just spent 6 nights in the Poblenau neighborhood. (Very safe) We rented a Condo via VRBO. About 120 Euro per night, close to Metro, Buslines, and the beach. (Condo is at the corner of Carrer Dellaut and Avenue D'Icaria.)

We enjoyed the neighborhood and the owner was a nice guy.

Rog Smith

Posted by
4684 posts

El Raval is a neighbourhood that is still in the process of gentrification, bits are OK but bits are still quite nasty. Make sure you hear from people who have stayed in that specific street/building and the whole area may be best avoided if you're not used to big cities or don't speak reasonable Spanish.