Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Amsterdam?

We are looking for 5 nights in Amsterdam, reasonably priced. We have done extensive research, but are somewhat surprised by what we feel are very high prices. Any suggestions are sincerely appreciated.

Posted by
62 posts

We stayed in the Hotel Aspen http://www.hotelaspen.nl/?page=main Clean, reasonable rate (we paid 80-90 euro for a double room with shower), and right by the Anne Frank House. It was actually a B&B that didn't serve breakfast.

Posted by
2788 posts

When on a RS tour of Europe, our tour started in Haarlem, about a 10 minute train ride from Amsterdam. Later, when returning to that area, we found the prices in Haarlem much cheaper than in Amsterdam. We have liked staying in Haarlem better than the activity levels, and noise, of Amsterdam as well as the price savings.

Posted by
1078 posts

The first week of May we stayed at the Hotel Bema in a large room with bath for 3 for 105 Euros a night including breakfast in the room. It is super convenient to the museums and less than 5 minutes to the tram 5 stop. We also got the Amsterdam card and it was a good value. I would comment that the hotel prices in Amsterdam have really skyrocketed over the last 2 years.

Posted by
12040 posts

I stayed at Hotel de Paris, near Liedseplein. Yeah, go figure, Hotel de Paris in Amsterdam... It was pretty cheap, but unspectacular. The usual Dutch breakfast was on offer, which is like every other European hotel breakfast, except with hagelslag (little chocolate sprinkles the Dutch put on bread). But Liedseplein is a great area.

Posted by
63 posts

We stayed @ the Amstel Botel & enjoyed the experience. It's uniquea boat/ship that's a hotelright on the canal across from the central train station & affordable for 93E/night.

Posted by
79 posts

Next week we are booked at Hotel Nadia. Seemed fair to me.

Posted by
9099 posts

Hotels in Amsterdam are very pricey year round. How much are you looking to spend? Rooms are actually cheaper mid-week, instead of the weekends like in most other places.
Check out these places located in the Centraal Station-Dam Square area: RHO Hotel, Avenue Hotel, Ibis Hotel.

Posted by
267 posts

check out hanna penso near the artis zoo. we stayed there in april and enoyed it alot ,110 euros per night. very clean and quiet and the owner brings you fresh bread every morning. great reviews on trip advisor, you won't be dissapointed. :):)

Posted by
643 posts

We are staying at Boogard's Bed and Breakfast this September for a few nights, at 125 Euros a night which includes breakfast. It's not super cheap, but after I read the reviews, and then got such a great email contact from Peter Boogard, I was sure I made the right decision. I too had noticed the hotel prices were a little high in Amsterdam, but didn't want to stay in Haarlem, as we're only there for a few nights and having to take the train to and from Amsterdam would be a pain, especially if we'd wanted to take a mid-day siesta or go back to our room for something. EDIT: Boogard's had to remove one room from the B&B for some elderly, ailing relatives (so their email to me said) so we can't stay there now. Have booked a room at Bed and Breakfast Heregracht 21 instead, and our room has a canal view!

Posted by
977 posts

Dave. Would be very interested to hear your thoughts on your stay at Boogards. We are seriously looking at spending 3 nights there next April. The establishment has received outstanding reviews.

Posted by
12172 posts

We stayed at Vondelpark Hostel. It wasn't bad, clean and convenient to the museums or tram downtown.

Posted by
1976 posts

Hi Greg. Amsterdam is an expensive city, so be prepared! I can recommend the Quentin Arrive Hotel (room for 2 people is about 90 euros per night) and Frederic Rent-A-Bike (we stayed at Frederic's Parents' Place, one of their properties, where a room for 2 people starts at 70 euros per night). Both of these are in the pretty Jordaan neighborhood and only a 5-10 minute walk to the train station where you can catch trams.

Posted by
143 posts

We stayed at the Aalders Hotel near the Rijksmuseum last fall. It seemed to be reasonably priced then, and we enjoyed our stay. Check it out.

Posted by
16 posts

City Garden Hotel. Quiet, Good Price. A bit of a walk if that doesn't bother you.

Posted by
1840 posts

We ahve stayed in the Beethoven Hotel in the museum area. The neighbouhood is wonderful. There is an Ibis hotel next to Central Station. If you tell me how you are arriving I can be more specific about how to get to either one of them. Would you consider Delft? Its about forty-five minutes from Central Station. We stayed at the Hotel Leeuwenbrug and it was beautiful as well as being less expensive than Amsterdam. If you are landing at Schiphol I can help you.

Posted by
2829 posts

For those willing to stay in a mode modern part of the city with nice restaurants around and easy tram, train and subway/metro connections to the city historical area, I'd seriously recommend at least a glance at the Zuidas area. It is like a new-ish CBD, with some prize-winner modern skyscrapers, trendy restaurants but with some design hotels like the Qbic or some budget-yet-cool hotels like CitiezenM (this one a bit closer than Zuidas proper). I live here in Netherlands, I know most people come wanting to stay in "cosy" small places, but if budget is a concern, give some of these new hotels a try. You will get zero "picturesqueness" but a lot of avant-grade stuff for a far lower price than you'd have to pay for a similar hotel in Milano or London.

Posted by
186 posts

Thank you all for some great recommendations. We have now secured accomodations.