Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Amsterdam

How do I find nice, inexpensive places to stay in or near Amsterdam? A B&B or private inn or rooms to rent would be perfect.

Posted by
249 posts

Echo the above on Boogaards; was there last July-wonderful place.

Posted by
18 posts

If you don't mind taking the train or bus from Haarlem, we stayed at My Dream B&B last summer. The rates for two, including breakfast, were around 75 Euros, and Leonice and Hennis were incredibly nice. They packed breakfast to go when we had to leave early to visit relatives, gave us a lift to the airport at 4:00 am (minimal charge), and even offered a ride on their boat (which we couldn't take advantage of due to the weather). http://www.bedbreakfast-mydream.nl/index.php?lang=en

Posted by
2788 posts

I have stayed in both Amsterdam and Haarlem (sp?) and when I return I will stay in Haarlem again. Much more peaceful and an easy, quick train ride to Amsterdam. I have stayed in B&Bs in both and I found them both in RS guide book. I was please with both of them.

Posted by
676 posts

B&B Batavia, about 10 min walkfrom Anne Frank house is great! I've stayed there twice. It's in a residential apartment building, only 2 rooms, owners live upstairs, quiet, nice, own BR, fridge in room. I will stay there again, even tho I know there are other great places to stay there.

Posted by
2 posts

We stayed at The Toren 3 years ago and loved it. Great location and good breakfast. My 2 daughters stayed on a house boat for a week and love it.

Posted by
267 posts

check out hanna penso on the south east side near the artis zoo. great location, easy to tram. we stayed there 2 weeks ago and loved it. 110 euro/night. private room with nice bathroom with fresh bread brought to you every morning.
good luck :):)

Posted by
26 posts

We stayed 5 nights, and rented a houseboat. They come in all sizes and price ranges, and my family loved it. We had 2 bedrooms, kitchen/living room, bathroom and the whole deck to spread out on. try www.houseboathotel.nl

Posted by
6 posts

We will be in Amsterdam in 2 weeks and we are staying for 2 nights in an old warehouse converted into a B & B called "de zoute engel." We are paying less than 70 Euro per night. It is about a 15 min walk from the train station but it is right along one of the canals. It just met our price range and it seemed to come highly recommended from some of the visitor comments on various sights.
Good luck

Posted by
4 posts

Enjoy the trip but be careful of the B&B. I booked my daughter and I into one that was supposed to be a 10 min walk to The Anne Frank house. As our cab sped out of the city I asked him about our destination and he said no way to walk that far in 10 mins. Our guest house was really a concrete city housing project that was 8 floors up (no elevator). Our host shared her apt with us and so we were to stay in a very cramped apt with really no personal space. Now , for the more adventurous, this might have been fine but for 30 Euro more, we stayed at the Toren in the heart of the charming city and actually ran into Rick Steves who was staying there also. We could walk everywhere and didn't have to cab it back to a sketchy neighborhood late. I wish I could remember her name but I got enough history from her to realize she had friends in San Diego post fake trip advisors raving about her. I noted it early earlier on This sight a few years ago after our trip. Just ask questions of your B&B host to know what you are getting into. Is it a home with other guests or are you couch surfing? And get specific locals. Our place wasn't even on the city map it was so far out! SO glad we switched to the Toren, I think bus or cab fare equalled what I would have saved at the apt. Bon Voyage

Posted by
1064 posts

Heidi has the right idea. Amsterdam is one of the few places in Europe where houseboat rentals are almost as common as hotels. Check them out.

Posted by
34 posts

Completely second the houseboat suggestion. We - 4 adults - visited Ams for 2 weeks & stayed on a houseboat. it was great. We could have coffee & breakfast or a snack in the afternoon w/o any trouble. We stored out food purchases from the outdoor markets in the fridge. It was in the Jordaan district and it was a bit noisy. Esp on Friday & Saturday nights when people would cruise up and down the canal in their boats. I loved it! Joan