Please sign in to post.

Where to Stay in Amsterdam

We are two seniors, longtime Rick travelers, looking for a mid-price hotel in Amsterdamn, convenient to tram or RR station...good neighborhood for restaurants et al. Any suggestions?

Posted by
2829 posts

You can't possibly pack all of these factors in a single hotel. Here are suggestions of what you should look into according to what you want to compromise. - not so close to main tourist sites: hotels in the Zuidas area often have deals, especially on weekends. It takes 15 min. by tram to reach Leidseplein, 20 min by subway to reach Amsterdam Centraal Station. - good neighborhood, good restaurants but not cheap: Joordan

Posted by
1976 posts

No, Amsterdam isn't cheap! I like the Jordaan neighborhood and have stayed there all 3 times I was in Amsterdam. It's very close to Centraal Station where you can catch trams or buses to all parts of the city. When are you going? Hotel prices can vary widely depending on the time of year. I stayed at the Quentin Arrive Hotel twice and highly recommend it.

Posted by
207 posts

Thanks to Andre and Sarah: I used mid-price to describe something more than "cheap" and less than "top luxury". We are somewhat limited by health issues so our usual vigorous walking and exploring on our own, needs to be altered a bit. I shall start researching the Joordan neighborhood and gratefully accept other pointers...Thank you all.

Posted by
2367 posts

Just be sure the place you stay has elevator, don't want to tote bags up narrow staircases.

Posted by
818 posts

Enjoyed Hotel Brouwer - charming ans centrally located AND has an elevator.

Posted by
166 posts

When I was in Amsterdam this past July, I stayed at The RHO Hotel adjacent to Dam Square, and loved it! Although not cheap, great rooms, food, service etc. Also very close to many attractions. Especially liked the Golden Chopsitcks restaurant and Rene's Croissant shop, both within a 10 minute walk of the hotel. Have fun!! I'm very jealous. Can't wait to go back sometime

Posted by
711 posts

Hi George....yes an elevator is important...we love the Hotel Fita...wonderful people, fantastic breakfast, they used to do laundry, and phone calls to the US used to be free. they have an elevator.Close to tram, restaurants, park ,museums, shops etc.

Posted by
143 posts

I'd recommend the Hotel Aalders, near the Van Gogh Museum. Convenient to tram lines and restaurants. Friendly staff. Elevator. Senior friendly, too. Check it out.

Posted by
207 posts

Thank you all. We are traveling in the tulip season, April, and understandably some of your recommended hotels were already booked. We are pleased to have reserved in Rho Hotel, Dam Square area. We appreciate your help. Any additional suggestions such as restaurants or sights off the beaten tourist track would be appreciated.

Posted by
9100 posts

You'll like the RHO hotel, I've stayed there a bunch of times. From late April to June be sure to check out the annual World Press Photo show at the Old Church. It's the top show for photojournalism, the very best pictures from the past 12 months will be on display; it will be the "hot" ticket in town. An underrated museum is the FOAM photo galley...excellent exhibits which change monthly.