Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Amsterdam

We're planning to stay five nights in Amsterdam in September and are looking for recommendations for lodging. What area of the city or surrounding area should we consider? The convenience of being in the central city versus the economics of staying outside the city and commuting?

Posted by
9100 posts

I hope you're not going to be in Amsterdam Sept 6-11. That's when the annual International Broadcasting Convention takes place. It's one of the largest conventions in the world and hotels not only in Amsterdam but other cities in Holland will be scarce and expensive. It's best to stay in the city center. It very scenic, and by staying in outskirts you'll miss out on a lot of the magic of the city. Most of the lodgins outside the city center are in corporate park type enclaves. If you give us your price range we can give specific recommendations.

Posted by
83 posts

A few years ago we stayed for a week on a houseboat on Brouwersgracht. Enjoyed it. Recommended by R.S. "Amsterdam"guidebook. Kitchen on the boat and market nearby. Good location. Rented bikes made touring the city very easy. See frederic.nl website. I recommend staying in the central city.

Posted by
267 posts

Check out Hanna Penso, great location, great hotess, very clean. You can see the reviews on trip advisor. Have a safe trip :):)

Posted by
249 posts

Boogaard's, in the Jordaan neighborhood. On a quiet street, great host/breakfast. Read at TripAdvisor

Posted by
2788 posts

Do you have a copy of RS Amsterdam Guide Book yet? If so, good. If not, you should get one soon as it has lots of good information in it that we have used when staying there.

Posted by
77 posts

The last time we went, we stayed at Casa 400 and it was great!

Posted by
1064 posts

If you are interested in something unique, try a houseboat for lodging. The link below contains a lot of options. We stayed in B17 in the Jordaan a few years ago, and I would go back now if I could.
http://www.houseboathotel.nl/

Posted by
15 posts

We stayed in a B&B right on one of the canals. There are two rooms available, one on the back and one on the front. The front room overlooks the canal. The other room is on two levels with the bedroom upstairs over a sitting room. If you don't mind climbing stairs...lots of narrow stairs...it is a good place. The hostess was very nice, even mailed a coat that we left in the closet. Breakfast was yummy. http://www.herengracht21.nl/index_en.htm

Posted by
1976 posts

I like the Quentin Arrive Hotel in the Jordaan. I've also stayed at Frederic's Parents' Place, one of the properties run by Frederic Rent-A-Bike.

Posted by
2026 posts

We also enjoyed our stay at Boogaard's B&B. Friendly, wonderful breakfasts, ideal location. We have no need to ever look for other accomdation in Amsterdam.

Posted by
513 posts

Jim- I recommend the Hotel Piet Hein, facing the beautiful Vondel Park. It is clean and has a friendly staff. It is walking distance from many of the main Amsterdam museums as well as the nightlife of Leidseplien. You can easily reach it on a tram from Centraal Staion. I have stayed in this area of Amsterdam for years now, and at the Piet Hein my last seven or eight trips.

Posted by
24 posts

We spent a lovely few days at the Eel House Bed and Breakfast, a nice 20 minute walk from the train station. Excellent location in a quiet neighborhood with plenty of "local" restaurants and walkable to everywhere you want to go.