Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Amsterdam?

Charming neighborhood with local fare? What about a bike tour?

Posted by
1976 posts

Hi Marie. I've stayed in Amsterdam 3 times at 2 different places. (I've never taken a bike tour so I can't give you any help there.) I'm partial to the Jordaan neighborhood - lots of restaurants and shops, close to the train station - and both places where I've stayed are there. What is your price range? How many people are traveling with you? The Quentin Arrive Hotel on Haarlemmerstraat runs about 90 euros per night (I selected a room for 2 people for random dates in June). You must stay at least 3 nights to book a room here. Frederic Rent-A-Bike has a lot of different properties, including houseboats. I stayed at Frederic's Parents' Place for 2 nights in a room for 2 people this past July and we paid about 70 euros per night.

Posted by
6788 posts

Another enthusiastic vote here for Hotel Brouwer. Not cheap, but just oozing with charm, and an ideal location. We loved it and felt the expense was worth it.

Posted by
83 posts

Been to A. a few times. Last stayed for a week in one of Frederic's houseboats on Brouwersgracht. Good neighborhood in a central location.Fun being right on the water. The privacy was nice too. Decent kitchen. Good supermarket nearby. Ate in a lot. Rented two bikes from F. Self-directed bike tour. Felt a little bit like locals. Info. in RS guidebook.

Posted by
12040 posts

"Charming neighborhood with local fare?" If you mean traditional Dutch cuisine (fish, meat and potatos mostly), I only know of two such restaurants in all of Amsterdam. Both are in the Leidseplein district surrounded by South American steak houses. I stayed in this area at the Hotel De Paris. Decent if not spectacular small hotel.