Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Amsterdam

We will be traveling to Amsterdam for the 1st time in September. Can anyone recommend a good hotel which is close to shops, restaurant,cafes and most of the sights? I read Rick's guidebook but I am still unsure where to stay.

Posted by
9100 posts

At that price range I recommend the Avenue Hotel:

www.embhotels.nl/avenue

It's within easy walking distance of Centraal Station, and the Royal Palace/Dam Square. There is also a tram stop opposite the entrance. The hotel was recently expanded and upgraded. All rooms now have AC. This is not a quiet part of the city, but your in the middle of all the "action".

You can take a virtual walk around the area by fooling around with this box:

View Larger Map

Posted by
132 posts

We tried the 1st hotel but unfortunately it is fully booked. I have a pending request with the Owl Hotel but it doesn't look good as there appears to be a large Congress meeting in town for September 14 and 15th. Looks like I might have to drop some more cash to get any room in town. Anymore ideas on hotels?

Posted by
9100 posts

Richard I've go some bad news for you. The International Broadcasters Convention is being held when you will be in Amsterdam. This is one of the largest conventions in the world, and not only will most every hotel in Amsterdam be booked up, sometimes every hotel in the entire country will be booked up as well:(
But with the downturn in the world economy I suspect you may find it easier getting a hotel this year.

You may have some better luck booking a hotel via the convention's web site:

https://www.rai-hotelservice.com/compass/external/index.cfm?&meeting_ID=579&Meeting_ID_Code=49368435

Posted by
132 posts

Then I better take the 1 expensive room that I found at the Toren Hotel. Thanks for the information.

Posted by
59 posts

Richard, See what the cancellation policy is at the Toren. Try for a Priceline room. We have had luck with them at other busy times. Moevenpick comes up a lot for about $80. Check out
http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/ to show you how to bid. Good luck!

Posted by
2026 posts

We stayed at Boogaard's B & B in Amsterdam a year ago. We enjoyed our stay a lot. A short walk from the station and on a quiet street, convenient for touring. It was within your price range when we stayed there. Peter is a friendly and helpful host, breakfasts were extraordinary. I found Boogaard's on Tripadvisor

Posted by
9 posts

The Toren is lovely but you might want to consider The Convent which is just around the corner form Dam Square and is part of the Sofitel chain. I have stayed there many times and it is wonderful. Also, sometimes the NH Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky, which is right on Dam Sqaure, has great deals. You could get lucky.

Posted by
15582 posts

If budget is more important than atmosphere, try priceline.com . I got a great rate and location (near Leidsplein, 5 min walk to Rijksmuseum, in June. $70 (plus taxes) for 4 stars. It was very close to the Owl Hotel (where I had originally booked for almost twice the price).

Posted by
199 posts

I stayed at the Hotel Alexander and was very satisfied. It also has an elevator. I've also stayed at Hotel Freeland. Great staff but no elevator. Plus, they have pets running around so if you're allergic?