Please sign in to post.

Where to stay?

My husband and I are travelling by train throughout Germany in July. We will arrive in Koln and would like visit the Cathedral as well as the chocolate factory. Before going on to Rothenburg we wanted to also go to Burg Eltz to see the castle. I have been trying to find a place to stay in Koln or Koblenz the night before we go to Burg Eltz or would anyone have a better suggestion for a place to stay.

Thanks

Posted by
11 posts

Thanks Jo for the advice. I have been finding that booking directly with the hotel has been giving me the best rates but will check out hrs.com.

Posted by
8942 posts

If you want to stay in Köln, I like to recommend the Coellner Hof Hotel as it is a very lovely, very German style hotel at quite reasonable price. Wonderful breakfast buffet too. Köln is a great city to wander around, but I have to say, I was fairly disappointed in the chocolate museum, I would have rather used my time to see something else. Kids might like it, but it was just kinda boring.
http://www.coellnerhof.de/

Posted by
242 posts

I was also disappointed in the chocolate museum. It was not very interesting and the crowds ridiculous (and this was on a weekend in November - well out of the tourist season).

I think thought the Greco Roman museum, Wallraf-Richartz Museum and the applied arts museum were much more enjoyable. The Museum Ludwig also has nice pieces by Gerhard Richter - the artist who designed the contemporary stain glassed window in the Dom.

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you so much for your comments. We may need to rethink the chocolate museum and concentrate on other things within the city.

Posted by
8942 posts

Just for fun, I went to booking.com and looked up the price for the Coellner Hof hotel for 1 July, 2 people. Price - 109 €. Then I went to HRS.com and looked up the same hotel, same night. Price - 80.75 €. Sorry, but that is almost a 30 euro price difference! I did not bother looking up the price when booking with the hotel personally, but that too could be cheaper then either one, or it could be more.

I sure would think twice about using booking.com though.

Posted by
12172 posts

You could always train as far as Cochem to stay the night before Burg Eltz. It will take awhile longer to get there but will gain an early start for Burg Eltz.

Maybe you could train all the way to Trier for the night. The Roman ruins at Trier are worth visiting and they aren't far from Burg Eltz.

Posted by
2023 posts

We stayed in Beilstein at Haus Lippmann and loved it. It was in October so it was quiet and the wineries had closed down for the season. It is a beautiful area located on the Mosel which IMO is much prettier than the Rhine. We managed to visit Burg Eltz on the day we arrived in Frankfurt. Lots of driving for a first day but the roads are great.