Please sign in to post.

where to go in spain

I would love to have a mix of city and countryside. what's a good way to do that. I know very little of Spain - in fact, i was going to Italy until about an hour ago. Seems like Spain is more in our price range for now.
Madrid, Seville and where in between is the quieter countryside?

Posted by
23267 posts

You need to spend some time with some good guide books and DVDs. Spain is much more diverse than Italy. The moorish influence of the south is much different than the more traditional European of northern Spain. You need to return with some specific questions because we cannot write a guidebook for you.

Posted by
1501 posts

Hi, Linda! Have you considered renting an apartment or staying in a Bed and Breakfast in someplace like Florence, Italy, which is a smaller city and has Great transportation connections? Sometimes staying in the countryside is more expensive because of a necessary car rental. If you like a mix of city and countryside, then a stay in Florence or Siena may fit the bill with day trips by bus to the outlying areas. I'd personally prefer Florence. If Italy is where your heart leads you, check it out thoroughly before you give up! There are two (or more) websites to consider: Airbnb is a Bed/Breakfast website that specializes in bed&breakfasts, smaller hotels and even rooms to rent in homes. Take a look! Also VRBO and Homeaway.com may be some options. Re Spain pretty much the same advice. Spain's bus/trains are a little behind Italy's and the bus station employees did not speak a lot of English last time I was there, but my old old high school Spanish saved the day! I rented a very
inexpensive apartment in Nerja which is in the very South of Spain and day-tripped from there. I used VRBO for that trip. Another consideration when deciding between these two countries if you DO need to stay in hotels is that breakfast is usually included in the price in Italy and not so in Spain. Also eating cheaply in Italy is very easy pizza, panini, pasta. In Spain we spent much less on lodgings, but the food bills were larger. We weren't all that careful, though. No matter which country you choose, I'm sure you will love your European adventure!

Posted by
1 posts

Hi Linda, For countryside experiences check this site. The site presents 294 walks in Spain along the mountain ranges and coasts, each accompanied by a detailed description, map, contour profile, GPS waypoints, slide show, photos, driving instructions and a road map.
In the south, I recommend the national park of Sierra Nevada (Andalusia) and the nature park of Sierra Grazalema (Cadiz). The most spectacular landscapes are in the north: National Park of the Picos de Europa (Asturias and Cantabria) and Pyrenees (Aragon).

Posted by
12172 posts

Let's start with when are you going? My recommendation would be completely different for cooler months than for summer.

Posted by
56 posts

The white hill towns would be a nice interlude between Seville and Madrid. Ronda and Arcos de la Frontera are both very nice.

Posted by
4535 posts

I'm with some of the others, we need to know more info - otherwise people are just guessing. How long will you be there? What time of year? What are your interests? Will you be renting a car or depending on bus and trains? We can be much more helpful if you narrow your choices and options first by researching guidebooks and online, then come to us with more specific questions about certain places.