Please sign in to post.

Where to go

I have traveled to Europe for the past 5 years and keep wanting to go back to Italy. My thoughts this year are to either go to Spain,Portugal and Italy or Italy, Switz., Austria and Croatia. I will have 21 days and need help in deciding my trip and where to fly in and out of city. It is so expensive to fly into Rome. I shall be leaving from Boston around 5/17/08 and rtning 6/8/08. Any imput would be most appreciated. I have been traveling alone

Posted by
479 posts

Italy, Switzerland, Austria and Croatia are very convenient. I would think they are more convenient than the other option you proposed unless you are taking a cruise. The train options between northern Italy and Austria and Croatia/Slovenia are very nice. For example there is a perfect-length night train from Salzburg (1:00 AM) to Venice (10:00 AM).

Don't forget Slovenia! Ljubljana and Lake Bled are can't misses!

Posted by
171 posts

Thank You so much for your reply. I forgot to mention that I am a want to be photographer and Croatia/PLilvice Lakes and Austria has the mountains. I ma told that Switz, and Austria are bery expensive. I am on a fixed income

Posted by
852 posts

Hi Virginia...

... nearly everyone can sympathise with fixed income...
... however, no matter the country name, one can always remain frugal...
have a great trip... P.

Posted by
4555 posts

Virginia...the tradeoff to save money is usually time and convenience. Of the groupings you suggest, Spain, Portugal, and Italy will probably be cheapest in terms of food and accommodation expenses. As for getting across the Atlantic, look at a cheap flight from Boston to somewhere like London, Paris, or Frankfurt, then transfer to a discount airline to get you to Madrid, for example. You will have to leave several hours between arrival, and departure on the discount airline, because you will first have to pick up your luggage, go thru customs, and check in for your next flight. Check www.whichbudget.com for discount airlines in Europe and where they fly. You can also find here flights from Spain to Portugal and Spain to Italy, then back to your return flight home. In Spain, look for a category of accommodation called "hostals," a step up from hostels and just below hotels....convenient, clean, and inexpensive. E-mail if you want any more suggestions

Posted by
4555 posts

Also, don't hesitate to check "Portland" in the airfare search engines. I've found that, many times, airlines will have lower fares from smaller cities around a hub....even if those very same flights make a stop in the larger cities, like Boston, before heading overseas!

Posted by
1717 posts

Hello Virginia, if you desire to fly to Rome, I suggest continue to search for affordable flights to Rome. The prices for flights to Rome are likely to become lower in the second half of December, or January one. (This is not gauranteed. The airline ticket business is crazy). And you could fly from an other city in Europe to return to the U.S.A. Whatever countries you decide to go to, I guess you will be glad that you went there.

Posted by
808 posts

As for the fixed income issue...There are some plans available through Travel Agencies where you pay for your trip a year in advance with quarterly or monthly payments coming directly out of your bank account, depending on the plan.

I don't know how good of a deal they are, but it can help to budget for a larger expense like a holiday. It works for some people.
Or you could set up something similar on your own where a set amount is directly deposited each Paycheque into a separate "Vacation fund" account. That way the money is there and you can jump on the best travel deals as they come up!
Just an option. Whether it's the best option, I really don't know, but it's an option to consider, just the same!

Posted by
3551 posts

Limiting your countries can save euros and wasted travel time. group your must sees in Italy and Switz since they are close geographically. try to stay in christian houses or convents as listed by Ricks guidebooks or hostels. eating picnics as much as poss. A good itinerary ahead saves alot. I do this every yr and it works if you stay disciplined and stick to your budget.