Please sign in to post.

Where to go!?

My husband and I are going to Munich for Oktoberfest with some friends of ours. They are leaving after 5 days, and we are going to continue on for another 5 days. I believe we will be making a day trip down to Salzburg during our stay in Munich. I am looking for recommendations on where to go and what we must see. We have been throwing around going to other destinations in Austria and/or Germany, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Italy, France....really anywhere. Too overwhelming to make decisions---so please help! Since we will only be there for 5 days---we want some (closer) places to go so we are not spending most of our time traveling. We are open to night trains to places if need be. Thanks!

Posted by
10211 posts

Are you flying round trip to Munich? If you are I would suggest not venturing too far from there to avoid wasting too much time in transit. Will you rent a car or does it need to be somewhere you can reach by train? Are you looking for outside activities, museums, small towns, cities? Let us know what interests you so we can make suggestions.

Posted by
10211 posts

I concur with TK's suggestions. There is much to see in southern Germany and with a car you could see a lot. If you really want to go to another country, Colmar is in France, just across the border From the Black Forest. You could make your way across Bavaria to the Black Forest by way of Lake Constance (aka Bodensee), then return to Munich for your trip home. Driving is a piece of cake and getting your International Drivers Permit takes a quick trip to AAA. I suggest you get the smallest car possible because streets in the old towns are narrow and parking spaces can be small. A GPS is great to have too.

Posted by
1717 posts

Hello Ashley. Where will you be in the first five days ?

Posted by
2 posts

We will be staying in Munich the first 5 days. The couple we are going with have been before so I'm kind of giving them control the first week. We do fly in and out of Munich. I believe we are staying in an apartment that is about a 10 minute walk to the tents. Our agenda thus far includes Dachau, a day trip via train to Salzburg and a bike tour but I'm not quite sure where to. We do not have a car rented, but are not completely opposed to getting one for the second week. I think we'd like to go by train if possible....unless we do the "Romantic road" or other destinations that require a car. If we do get a car....I've heard we need to get an international drivers license? Anyone know more about that? We are pretty easy going and would like to so touristy things AND local restaurants/activities etc. Thanks for your help!

Posted by
3696 posts

Ashley... the IDP is nothing... just go to AAA office and it is about 20.00.
I have spent a lot of time in that area and with Munich and Salzburg covered I would stay in southern Germany, get a car and do the Romantic Road, a few castles and possibly Lake of Constance (one of the most beautiful places in the world). You will already be spending time in cities so I would go for the smaller towns and villages. It is really easy to drive in Germany and that way you are free to move about on your own schedule, be spontaneous and that might be a welcome change after a rather full schedule. There are so many places to stop and visit along any given road in Germany. As you are already there I would make the best of the south of Germany.

Posted by
83 posts

Austria requires an International Drivers License. If you have a car, I would recommend Rothenberg ob de Tauber in Germany on the Romantic road. We recently spent a month in Europe and we rank this medieval village our favorite of the places we visited. We also enjoyed Fussen, Germany close to the Austrian border.

Posted by
83 posts

Austria requires an International Drivers License. If you have a car, I would recommend Rothenberg ob de Tauber in Germany on the Romantic road. We recently spent a month in Europe and we rank this medieval village our favorite of the places we visited. We also enjoyed Fussen, Germany close to the Austrian border.

Posted by
8129 posts

With a rental car, you could efficiently cover the region and see a lot. I'm partial to the incredibly beautiful Austrian Alps. You could go southwest to Fuessen and over the mountain into Tirol. You could go west to Innsbruck rambling through the mountain villages. Then up to Salzburg and possibly to Hallstadt.
And you're never more than 2 1/2 hrs. from Munich for a quick exit.

Posted by
12172 posts

Stay at least one night (or two) in Salzburg. The view from any of the walking bridges over the Salz (between the old center and the Augustiner brewery) in the evening is THE single most beautiful view I've seen in Europe (though St. Mark's in Venice is right up there). There is a lot to see within walking distance of the train station, and a Bayern or Schoenes Wochende train pass includes Salzburg, so a car isn't necessary for the leg. I'd certainly want to see the Maribel Gardens, the churches in the old center, HohenSalzburg Fortress, the graveyard, some nice strolling within a few blocks any direction of Residenzplatz (means "palace square") and the Augustiner brewery for a decent meal and beer in the evening. I'd say that's more than one full day, try to plan at least a day and a half. I'll let others make other recommendations. My first trip to Munich I was planning on visiting only German destinations until a friend said, "Go to Salzburg, it's beautiful." He was right.