Please sign in to post.

Wengen, Switzerland

Has anyone ever stayed at the Hotel Belvedere in Wengen, Switzerland? My husband and I are traveling with our 8 and 11 year olds in August. We will be in this part of Switzerland at the end of our trip. If not this hotel, does anyone have other suggestions in Wengen? We are willing to pay a little more for a nicer hotel.

Posted by
16255 posts

Most of the hotels in Wengen are very nice, it just depends what style you want. The Belvedere is elegant in an old-fashioned way. We personally prefer places in the Swiss chalet-style, so haven't stayed anyplace but the Baären, but it may be too plain for your tastes. The Alpenrose, Schoenegg, and Bellevue are very nice and all have their devoted advocates among my friends and acquaintances. The Edelweiss is very family-friendly but more rustic. See if the Bellevue still has the model railway; that might be fun for your children. I see the Bellevue got a negative review on Tripadvisor from people who felt " pressured" to dine there at night, and they didn't want to commit to that in the morning. I think that is unfair criticism, as Swiss hotels of this type offer a very nice dinner to guests on the half-board plan, for much less than you would pay when ordering off the menu. How many nights will you be there?

Posted by
1 posts

Hi Meg, I have stayed at the Belvedere twice in the last two years. It is a lovely hotel, with great meals buffet style. It is quite quiet at the far end of the town, and about an 8 minute walk to the train station. The staff are excellent and very friendly, as is the manager who every evening will visit all guests at their dinner table to enquire how they are and if they have any problems. See my report on Trip Advisor. If you can, pay for a south facing room which has breath taking views down the Lauterbrunnen Valley. I have no hesitation in recommending the Belvedere and look forward to my next holiday there. Have a great trip.
John.

Posted by
11507 posts

Meg , I have stayed in the Falken Hotel in Wengen with my 11 yr old dd and 14 other children , ranging ages 7-17. We were on a family tour with RS and it was GREAT ! Many rooms that will sleep 4 comfortably and this is not always easy to find in Europe Simply google "reviews of Falken Hotel Wengen" and read the dozens and dozens of good reviews on tripadvisor.com
Its old and quirky but friendly and well located . We got a non view room that actually had an AMAZING view.. loved that hotel.

Posted by
80 posts

We stayed at the Hotel Baren last September. It is a nice place with great views if you get a view room. The breakfast was the best of any of the five hotels we stayed at during our trip to Switzerland. They will make a box lunch for you for a very reasonable price. The family who run s the place is very nice.

Posted by
20086 posts

About half of a ski group I was leading stayed there in 2008 and loved it. It is on the far end of town and a bit of a hike from the train station, but they have luggage transfer service from the station, so you will not have to haul your stuff. Beautiful wood paneled high ceiling lobby and restaurant. Regarding "pressure" to eat there, it is simply that they need to know exactly how many people will be dining that evening and want to have enough food on hand. Most guests are on half-board plan. The other half of our group stayed at the Silberhorn hotel which is directly across from the train station and is a 4-star and owned by the same company as the Belvedere. This hotel has been upgraded more, at least externally, so does not have the charm of the Belvedere. Back to meals, some people of our group staying at the Silberhorn tried eating at the Belvedere, but were turned away, despite the notice cards in the rooms that the meal plan was interchangeable, because they did not reserve in advance. The hotel orders precisely enough food for the guests dining there each night.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you all for the insight. It is all very helpful information. I appreciate it!