Please sign in to post.

Weather

Female will be traveling April 17-first week in May through Amsterdam, cruise down Rhine River and SwitzerlandLucerne & Zurich, would like to know if I need an all purpose coat w zip-out lining,etc. I am cold natured. I am having trouble packing for cruise clothes & tours with just a carry on. Any suggestions. PJ

Posted by
1315 posts

I'm cold natured too and think the coat with zip out lining is a good idea. Other ideas that don't take up much space are light weight cashmere sweaters, silk underwear, and gloves.

Posted by
818 posts

We leave for Germany and Austria on March 30 and I can't decide on jacket and boots. Had planned on lightweight down jacket (which can compress in my bag I hope) and a pair if boots which would work with jeans or a skirt but with the weather we are having in the northeast (seriously unseasonably warm) I can't wrap my head around what to bring! Looks like the weather is nice over there too. I did make the mistake of packing all wrong for a weekend trip to Belgium last year - it was October so I packed jeans and sweaters and ended up I a tank top and short skirts the whole time. I hate being hot!

Posted by
1481 posts

Google the weather in locations that you will visit just before your leave. Weather Com will give you 10 days. Weather is changeable but at least it will give you a starting point. It has been warm in Germany and I may have to adjust my clothes before I leave the last week in March. I prefer Polartec with a wind breaker, as it is more flexible for me than a jacket with a liner. However, that may not match the rest of your wardrobe.

Posted by
12040 posts

The high on the Rhine today is expected to be 18 C. I doubt it will be cold when you visit.

Posted by
1315 posts

If you're cold natured, you need to also consider the low temps as when you're traveling, you're usually outside in the morning and evening, not just in the afternoon when the high temperature hits.

Posted by
676 posts

I agree with Gary, google the weather right before you leave. Weather in Germany changes on a dime, it can be 70 one day and 40 the next.

Posted by
9110 posts

I don't mess with forecasts since they often turn to worms in half a heartbeat. You might want to look at what the record highs and lows are, add a few degrees of buffer, and go from there.