Please sign in to post.

Way of St James

Hello travelers. I am looking for quick help. My brother in law has cancer...we need a miracle. I think the walk on the El Camino may help us. I don't have a lot of time. I can leave on Thursday October 24th 2013 and need to be back by November 4th. Can anyone help me with where I should start the walk .... planning on 10-20 miles per day. Any help with where to stay, what to bring, and all the things I don;t know to ask is vert much appreciated. Blessings to all, Pam

Posted by
527 posts

In the meantime watch the movie called "The Way". It is a very good movie about the Camino Frances. The people on the forum link I gave you will be very willing to help you. Buon Camino!

Posted by
3 posts

thanks Again...I am watching it tonight

Posted by
9363 posts

It is called the Camino, not the Compostela.

Posted by
527 posts

Yes, it is the Camino (as you can now see I have edited my post), be it Camino Frances, Camino Portugues. The end destination is Santaigo De Compostela or Muxia.

Posted by
435 posts

I'd go to a reputable outdoor supply store and get fitted properly for a backpack and get the best walking shoes you can buy. You should wear a shell to show you're a pilgrim. Best of luck with El Camino and I hope you get your miracle!

Posted by
638 posts

I walked the Camino in 2010, however I walked fm St Jean Pied du Port, it took me 33 days to complete. Exactly how much time you have to walk, do you mean you leave to go to Spain on Oct 24 and need to be back in the U.S. on Nov 4? That will play into how much time you have to actually walk, taking into consideration travel time to Spain and then on to where you plan to start then back to the U.S. Being generous with the time you might have 8 days to walk. Have you ever done any long range hiking or anything of this nature before? I ask because planning on doing 20 miles a day is a big thing to take on, few Pilgrims go at that pace and those that do soon slow down because that much walking takes a huge toll on the body when done everyday. On what we know I recommend starting in Sarria, it's a common starting point for people with limited time to walk. It's 162 kilometers from Sarria to Santiago or roughly 100 miles. You can stay in the alburgues which are numerous in each town and village along the Camino, it is cheap anywhere from 1 to 10 euro a night, but you can only stay one night in each one. You'll need to get a Pilgrims Passport to be able to stay in the alburgues along the way, you can get one from The American Pilgrims on the Camino, a nonprofit organization of people who have walked or plan to walk, I'll provide a link at the bottom. I have a packing list I can provide but a good guideline is only carry about 10% of you body weight, that might not seem like a lot but if the body isn't used to it the body will rebel. Most people only get used to walking after about a week, that's how long it take for their body to adjust. Anyway feel free to PM if you have any questions or want the packing list. Here is a link to the blog I kept on the Camino. http://www.americanpilgrims.com/ http://www.bhcamino2010.blogspot.com/

Posted by
698 posts

With respect - have you considered a pilgrimage to Lourdes? that would require less time and less stress on the body.
Will keep you an your brother-in-law in my prayers

Posted by
172 posts

Dear Pam...I'm probably too late. A perfect camino for you would be Sarria to Santiago. It is 100 km you don't need to reserve rooms there are plenty along the way..We flew into Santiago then took a bus to our starting point. Back pack, rain gear, travel light...a beautiful walk and a life changing experience. Buen camino..Hank

Posted by
8293 posts

You are too late, actually. Pam was to return November 4.