Please sign in to post.

walking shoes

any tips for finding good walking shoesthat are comfortable, but still look good? That don't automatically look like American sneakers?

Posted by
190 posts

Hi Karen, I really like my Keen's, they tend to run a bit small so I would advise going and trying them on. Walked all over Germany and had no problems with blisters, or sore tired feet at all. I do have somewhat of a flat foot, so I did insert a new arch support worked out perfectly. Wendy

Posted by
31 posts

thanks wendy-- I found the "walking shoes" post on Travelers Help so I am compiling my list of shoes to check out!! When we traveled through Europe a few years ago--my feet ached by the end of the day-- I didn't get blisters, but I did twist my ankle--so I am determined to find the best shoes for our trip to Spain!! What style of Keen did you wear?
thanks--

Posted by
2023 posts

My Ecco Yucatan sandals are the best walking shoes I have ever worn. The open toe area worked great for me and of course they are strictly warm weather travel shoes.

Posted by
1068 posts

I swear by my Doc Martens: http://www.drmartens.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=12877001 These are heavy, but in the GOOD way that means your feet are protected from the pointy, irregularly sized cobblestones that are everywhere in Europe. They are a bit pricey, but they don't scream "travel shoe!" or "grandma!" the way some purpose-made travel shoes do. They are also cute with pants AND skirts, believe it or not. They give your outfits a little Amelie-style edge. I've tried other shoes when traveling - which for me means WALKING a whole bunch - and these are the best.

Posted by
813 posts

I wear my Merrells all the time here in Europe. Not sure of the style, but they're brown with pink accents. Columbia sportswear also makes a similar shoe. Sturdy and in darker colors is the way to go. If you're going when it's cooler, boots are really big here. You can get some comfy ones by Clarks and other such brands.

Posted by
16190 posts

If you want something classy to wear with capris and skirts, take a look at the Jambu "Waterfall" mule. It gets 100% 5-star reviews on Zappos. http://www.zappos.com/jambu-waterfall Mine felt perfect from the moment I put them on. The sole is "all terain" and the shoe is nice and stable for cobblestones. Plus they are great looking.

Posted by
2788 posts

Have you checked out: "Graffiti Wall - Planning & Packing -
Best Walking Shoes" yet? Lots of information.

Posted by
281 posts

I love my Naot black Mary Janes (very stylish) Kirei that I purchased at the Walking Store. They are so comfortable I plan to buy them in brown too. They are a combination of a suede or nubuck and a strip of patten (not really patten tho). They have an angled toe box so I went up one size..they come in
European sizes.

Posted by
31 posts

wow--some of these brands of shoes I have never heard of--thanks for all the suggestions-- I love my Keen's but didn't know if they would work--too "adventure looking" for the streets of Spain? But i am re-thinking it and maybe I will go for comfort over "style"--
I will have to check out the Naot's --MBT's and Mephisto's

Posted by
989 posts

Here's a nother new name - ALEGRIA - these are available at Zappos but my daughter bought these locally at Good for the Sole. Alegria in a Mary Jane style. They are in the $100-110 range, also have clog and mule styles, but the Mary Jane will be the perfect shoe for all those cobblesones she is going to encounter this summer. From Zappos - "Each pair of Alegria shoes are hand-stitched and made from genuine leather and suede with their signature rocker bottom outsole. Alegria shoes not only look good on the outside, but also make you feel good thanks to the Perfect Fit Footbed System and rocker outsoles. Their patented, interlocking footbed system features arch support and is loaded with latex, memory foam, and cork to create a uniquely perfect fit every time by forming to the natural contours of your foot. The greatest aspect of all with Alegria's footbed is that they are removable giving you the opportunity to insert you own custom orthotics if you choice to do so. Not to be forgotten is Alegria's special rocker outsoles. Engineered to roll naturally so that you reduce heel and central metatarsal pressure, the lightweight rocker outsole also encourages proper posture and a normal gait. " Yes, Mom is getting a pair too. These are FUN shoes, you can get the leather uppers in florals or animal stripes and wild colors. These are not your grandma's walking shoes.

Posted by
1626 posts

If the shoes you decide upon have removeable insoles, I'd recommend "Super Feet" insoles. I have really high arches so after a day on my feet walking, strolling and standing, my feet kill me. I tested them on a trip to NYC which we are on our feet all day, and I have to say my feet were much happier. So I will definitely wear my Super Feet. These are available in athletic footwear stores.

Posted by
8938 posts

I still recommend the Sketcher Shape-ups. Very cushy sole, perfect for any kind of pavement, from cobblestones to hiking trails, rain or snow. I have a lot of feet and toe problems and these shoes are absolutely perfect for me.

Posted by
345 posts

This subject seems to come up about every two or three months. There is a section on the Graffiti Wall about shoes. Would it be possbile for some of the posts to be moved there There are lots of different subjects on the Graffiti Wall and sometimes they need to be updated. Thanks!

Posted by
31 posts

Yes, I found the other post "Best shoes" site on the travel tipsAFTER I had posted this questionbut I am glad I didI am getting a lot of different types of shoes that weren't mentioned on the other post thanks for all your help now I have to start ordering from Zappo's and see which ones work best for our trip to Spain in june!!
thanks everyone for your suggestions!!

Posted by
273 posts

Clarks unloop, really stylish, extremely comfortable for miles of walking on cobblestones. I also have a pair of Clarks unstructed sandals. Got both at Zappos.com

Posted by
3696 posts

Have to add Birkenstocks...not too fashionable, but never have sore feet or back...and I wear the only pair of shoes I take.

Posted by
10206 posts

I have some Sketcher Shape-ups similar looking to the link Donna provided. They are suede. Very comfortable and they don't look like sneakers. I am considering taking them as my 2nd pair of shoes on my upcoming trip. On my last trip (4 weeks in Italy & Germany) I took a pair of Merrell Circuit Mary Janes. They are water-proof, cute and comfortable. If you are traveling in a warm time of the year they make the Circuit Breeze. They look the same but are partly mesh and breathable. I will be taking my Merrell's for sure on my next trip!

Posted by
411 posts

I use merells--with superfeet insoles. this boot-like kind of shoe is good for both walking in cities, as well as parks and trails.

Posted by
184 posts

Waterproof Mephistos--wore them every day and they worked great. Weren't too stylish but they were perfect for our cool weather trip.
Carole