Please sign in to post.

Visiting Versailles on Aug 15 Assumption of Mary Day

Hi will be in Paris this summer and wanted to spend a day in Versailles on August 15,2013. Does any one know if Versailles is overcrowded on this holiday?

Posted by
11507 posts

Leti, it will be overcrowded every day this summer.
I am not kidding. I have been at least 9 or 10 times now, always in summer , sometimes May , often june july or august, and its always busy . Its worse on weekends, but frankly, it will seem very crowded everyday. The grounds however are never crowded , so not matter what, once you get out of the crush of the palace the rest of the day will be a breeze. Purchase tickets online on their website ahead of time or use a Museum Pass, both allow you to skip the ticket lines, but not the security lines. The security lines can also be long, to avoid that you arrive early before it opens, like 9 am.. or you arrive later in day, do gardens first then try entering palace after 3 or so. Don't go to Paris scheduling yourself so tight that lines are going to screw up your day.. you are going during summer, everywhere will be crowded. I enjoy passing time in line looking at all the other nationality of tourists, listening as they chatter away in multitudes of languages , seeing their different clothes..