Please sign in to post.

visiting the Champagne Region

We will be leaving the St. Goar area of Germany mid-June and will be driving through the Champagne Region of France to Paris. We will about 2-2 1/2 days to explore. Any suggestions for places to stop along the way to see and places to stay. We are also open to alternate routes. I would love to do Alsace, but my friends think it will be too much time in the car. Thanks everyone!

Posted by
283 posts

My husband and I spent two weeks in the Champagne region last year. I agree--Verdun city and battlefield are must sees. Reims is also great, as the cathedral is breathtaking. If you are into WWI there are lots of forts and museums along the roads to drop in on. In the champagne growing region there is a tourist trail to follow, but be very careful about what days you will drive it. We went on a Monday and everything, including restuarants and TIs, were closed. It starts in Epernay, which is also a nice city to visit.

Posted by
1 posts

May I suggest looking on the France forums on traveladvisor.com? You can search on "Reims" or "Epernay" or "champagne" and there's lot of info on tours of the champagne houses, places to stay, etc. I'm leaving for Paris in a few days and we plan to take the TGV from Paris to Reims for a day trip. It's only 45 minutes one way on the TGV. Bon voyage!