Please sign in to post.

Visiting Neuschwanstein from Munich in mid October

Rick has done a great job of explaining how to get to Ludwig's castles from Munich on the cheap. However, I am concerned by one of the conditions of the Bayern (Bavaria) Pass. DB Bahn's website states that regional passes are only valid after 9am, however, the train that my family was hoping to catch leaves at 8:52am. If we were denied access to this train due to the restrictions of the pass we would have to take the next train which leaves over an hour later. I guess the gist of my question is, how strict are the ticket takers in Munich? By extension, should I plan on bumping back our castle viewing reservations?

Posted by
671 posts

Lee, would be a good person to answer this, but my experience on the DB has been that they don't take your tickets at the door, but that a conductor comes around and checks your ticket. They generally do this shortly after the train leaves a station. I don't know if they will get you based on what time they get to you or what time the train actually left (sometimes those trains are precisely on-time, sometimes they are 20 minutes late, too.) Germans are pretty rule-bound people, though....

Posted by
19092 posts

There is nothing that says you can't use a point-point ticket to cover your travel on that train from 8:52 until after 9 AM. The 8:52 makes it's next stop at Geltendorf at 9:21. You can use the Bayern-Ticket after that. For two people, use single trip tickets (3 zone) for €7,20 pP to Geltendorf. For more than two (up to five) you can use a Gesamtnetz Partner Tageskarte (entire network day ticket for 2-5 people) for €18,80. . . . . ¶ That's a train of the Bahn, and they have conductors who check tickets after every stop. I would not count on getting missed. . . . . ¶ BTW, that Gesamtnetz Tageskarte can also be used for public transportation in Munich to get you to the Hbf. . . . . ¶ BTW, that same train leaves Munich Pasing at 8:59. If it were one minute later, 9:00, you could use a €9,40 Innenraum Tageskarte instead.