Please sign in to post.

Villefranche-Sur-Mer Advice

Decided to spend one night in the area, and have finally settle on Villefranche-Sur-Mer. We need two quad rooms and the Welcome Hotel is too expensive and the Hotel de la Darse is booked. This is for Thursday, August 1st. Sooo, I'm taking a chance on the Hotel Provencal. The overall review score is only about 7.6, but the reviews sound okay. Has anyone stayed at this hotel? The location seems excellent. Also, any restaurant tips or beach tips? We are a family of seven people, so value is very important.

Posted by
782 posts

Hi Bets,
We ultimately decided to split up the two trips. We will be in Provence for three weeks on a home exchange. We'll do the overnight trip to the French Riviera one week and then do the Gorge du Verdon the following week. Why is August 1st such a big day? and should we change our plans because of it?

Posted by
10176 posts

First, August is the biggest vacation month for Europeans, not just the French and Villefranche is prime real estate for vacationing. Some people start their vacations on August 1st. Some July vacationers may stay a few days into August, too. Nigel has posted the French government traffic forecast on your other question thread. That will give you an idea of the movement of vacationers to and from the coast. It's a great time to be there. Have fun.

Posted by
1315 posts

Kerry, I stayed in the Hotel Provençal in 2006 with an RS tour and it was fine. Not fancy but OK. I do know that the hotel used to be in the RS book and was taken out but am not sure why. I would stay there again if the Darse was booked.